Apollon all-in-one installer

remarque

:wall:

So here''s my annoyance: i was installing apollon-installer.run with command ./apolon-blah-blah...-run

A really nice user-interface appeared with step to step guide but during the instalation, when installer was compilling the programme this message popped up:

"Can't find X includes. Please check your installation and add the correct paths!"

I'm beginner at Linux but i searched internet and some people were suggesting that the XFree86-devel or some X-devel libraries should be installed. My distro is Mandrake 10.2 beta (don't ask why i decided to start with beta, at least it's been working preety good so far, i had 9.1 earlier and i'm impressed by 10.2)

What would be the possible solution? Or which packages need to be installed. I assume that a distro this big should contain most of the libraries but i just could not find them.. this *.run archive is working very well in fact, it has a great rating

Thanks in advance!

I'm not at an MDK machine right now so I can't say exactly, but it'll be something very much like libxorg-devel. Easiest way to find devel packages is through the graphical package installer, which you can find through the start menu or the control centre; choose a fairly forgiving name that more or less matches the package you're looking for, search on that, and you'll find it. For example, if you're looking for the foobar package development libraries and you know we have v 5.23 of foobar, don't search for libfoobar5.23-devel, as there might be some little gotcha in the name that stops it turning up. Just search for 'foobar' and you'll find it. For this case, I'd run a search on 'xorg', then just look through the stuff that turns up. You get the hang of it soon enough.

well i somehow doubted that it was libxorg-devel but i decided to give it a shot.. Downloaded libxorg-x11-deve..l.somehting/.rpm but it didn't want to installl, it required multiarch utils. I downloaded multiarch-utils-something.rpm and installed them but that din't helped either (oh yeah, by the way, those utils are extremely small, some 7 or 9 kB i think. Is that correct ? they installed correctly...)

:wall::wall:

What's the problem now? or is maybe some other solution to this, or coulde it be that it isn't the libxorg at all. There should be an easier way! That application appolon was made to work on KDE, so why does the problem with dependecies appear????/

:angry::angry:

well sorry but somehow i get the feeling we aren't solving this problem the rigth way.

I installed URPMI, updated it from it's home adress but when tiping in the command urpmi apollon it still doesn't find anything.

I updatet urpmi database (easy urpmi) with "main " and updates packages. Contrib doesn't want to isnatll for some reason

So here's my question : why do i have to look for a new installer if the error seems to refers to X sistem itself. "Can't find X includes. Please check your installation and add the correct paths!"

What is more, if i hadn't mistaken there isn't actually any other installer available in urpmi database?

Is there anything that must be done in X config itself. I just could not belive that application, made for X-users (beginners) like me isn't properly configured. Problem is probably at my system.Oh yes, i forgot, i find of course rpm's with apollon but they need linkig to gIFT core, and i'm having problems there also so i would prefer to instal it from installer.

Thanks

Make sure you have added PLF as one of your repositories, then do urpmi apollon.
:)

Please read the FAQs. We are happy to answer your questions but don' t criticise something you don't understand.

Your question: Mandrake is a 'binary' distro meaning software comes as binaries meaning you don't have to build it meaning it installs in seconds rather than minutes (or hours). :). If you want to compile applications the building program needs information from other programs (most application in Linux are dependent on other apps). This information comes as (mostly) header files that are not needed to run the program so would only take up disk space. Mandrake (and other distros) have put these files in separate packages called <name of program>-devel. So if you need them you can install them easilly.