USB disconnect

Guest dexx

I have a Targus optical mini-mouse with a retractable cord. And it has previously worked fine with all linux distros (including earlier versjons of Mdk), but yesterday I installed MDK 10.1, and my mouse freezes about every five to eitght minutes. I have to plug it out and reconnect it for it to work again.

Feb 12 13:40:08 localhost kernel: usb 1-2: USB disconnect, address 9

Feb 12 13:40:09 localhost kernel: usb 1-2: new low speed USB device using address 10

Feb 12 13:40:10 localhost kernel: input: USB HID v1.00 Mouse [uSB Mouse] on usb-0000:00:11.2-2

Feb 12 13:46:16 localhost kernel: usb 1-2: USB disconnect, address 10

Feb 12 13:46:17 localhost kernel: usb 1-2: new low speed USB device using address 11

Feb 12 13:46:17 localhost kernel: input: USB HID v1.00 Mouse [uSB Mouse] on usb-0000:00:11.2-2

Feb 12 13:52:39 localhost kernel: usb 1-2: USB disconnect, address 11

Feb 12 13:52:40 localhost kernel: usb 1-2: new low speed USB device using address 12

Feb 12 13:52:41 localhost kernel: input: USB HID v1.00 Mouse [uSB Mouse] on usb-0000:00:11.2-2

These is the activities in /var/log/messages while the devices has been disconnected. first it's one line with it beeing disconnected, then two lines for when I plug it out and in again. And as you can see there are no other thiings or errors beeing logged at the same time.

Does anyone have any ideas? If this has been answered earlier I apologize, I have given google and the search function on th is board an honest go for a while now and can't figure it out :/

• 4 weeks later...

I've seen exactly the same thing on my SuSE laptop (kernel 2.6.8; suse 9.2). I was wondering if you found any solution to it. One thing I can say, is that I found something quicker than un- & replugging, by making a shortcut (win-Z) in KDE that calls the following script:

#!/bin/bash

/sbin/modprobe -r usbhid

/sbin/modprobe usbhid

A bit of a hack, but better than the whole plugging business. I noticed that this does not work so well for my wireless USB mouse, but works great with a corded one.

Could it be that the mouse is timing out, I was mucking about with the kernel the other day and noticed an option to disable/enable usb timeouts.

I don't remember if it was in the kernel itself or a feature of udev but it may be worth exploring.