Automatic wireless configuration

xxbeanxx

Hey guys.. I just managed to get on my wireless network with wpa_supplicant..

I would like to know how to do the following commands automatically when I do an "ifup ath0"

1) wpa_supplicant -Bwi ath0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -D madwifi

2) /sbin/dhclient -1 -q -lf /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient-ath0.leases-pf /var/run/dhclient-ath0.pid -cf /etc/dhcli

The dhcp thing already gets called, but it won't work unless I do the wpa_supplicant first. My question is this: can I add anything to ifcfg-ath0 or somewhere similar that will do the wpa_supplicant command before the dhcp command?

I noticed a directory in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts called ifup.d and ifdown.d .. Perhaps I can stick something in there....but I don't know the format of the files to go in there.

I *can* run the wpa_supplicant by hand, but where's the fun in that? I'd like it all to be automated so I can just type "set-netprofile Wireless" and have my wireless working.

Thanks for any help.

1. Put this line in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ath1 or whatever device you are using -

the locations of the files may be different, you'll need to figure out:

WPA=y

2, Add at the end of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup.wireless

if [ "$WPA" = "y" -a -x /usr/local/bin/wpa_supplicant ]; then
   /usr/local/bin/wpa_supplicant -Bw -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -i$DEVICE
fi

3. Create /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifdown-wireless, and put in it

#!/bin/bash
killall wpa_supplicant

That should o the trick

Worked like a charm.. Thanks a lot!!

This is awesome!

EDIT:: actually, the ifup command does start wpa_supplicant.. But the ifdown doesn't stop it.. (I chmod'd to execute)..

Also, when I switch profiles, (ie: set-netprofile Wireless) it doesn't work. :( Looking at the set-netprofile script, it does a network restart... Looking at /etc/init.d/network, it does run ifup ath0.. But it doesn't start.. :(

Oh well, I'll keep picking at it.. Thanks again..

Edited by xxbeanxx

Sorry, mate. Forgot to tell you that the ifdown script needs to be modified as well. Locate these lines

DEVICETYPE=`echo $DEVICE | sed "s/[0-9]*$//"`
[ -z "$REALDEVICE" ] && REALDEVICE=`echo ${DEVICE} | sed 's/:.*//g'`

and add below them these lines

# is the device wireless?
is_wireless_device ${DEVICE} && . ./ifdown-wireless

Edit: set-netprofile copies net scripts here and there before actually running them. That is, if you switch from profile A to profile B, first all files from /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ will be copied to /etc/netprofile/profiles/A/files/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/, then all files from /etc/netprofile/profiles/B/files/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ will be copied to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/, then network will be restarted. So, the first thing to check is whether the dir for profile Wireless contains correct scripts. Secondly, whether they have been copied into /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/

I think, MCC (MDK9.2) has a bug (or is it a feature?) in setting netprofiles. If I hit OK, it screws up network settings for one of the profiles. So usually, when I switch profiles, I wait untill MCC finishes its business, and then close MCC without hitting OK. Alternatively, you can run set-netprofile as root from the console (in MDK this may work differently then in MDK9.2 though), or boot into profile of your choice from lilo, these methods work fine for me.