Missing hardware drivers....Obviously.

bb002

My Sound card is a Yamaha OPL3SA2.

My Printer is a Lexmark X75 All-in-One-Printer.

My Joystick is a Logitech Rumble Pad 2. (Don't really need drivers for this though.)

Lexmark and Logitech do not seem to be offering linux drivers. And being a linux noob, I have no idea where to turn too.

welcome!

should be there, I think

localhost:~# grep -ir "Rumble" /ml/usr/src/linux-2.6.7/Documentation/*

/ml/usr/src/linux-2.6.7/Documentation/input/ff.txt:- FF_RUMBLE  rumble effects (normally the only effect supported by rumble

/ml/usr/src/linux-2.6.7/Documentation/input/xpad.txt:In particular, there is currently NO support for the rumble pack.

/ml/usr/src/linux-2.6.7/Documentation/input/joystick-parport.txt: * PSX Rumble Pad

localhost:~# grep -ir "OPL3SA2" /ml/usr/src/linux-2.6.7/Documentation/*

/ml/usr/src/linux-2.6.7/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt:    opl3sa2=        [HW,OSS]

/ml/usr/src/linux-2.6.7/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt:    snd-opl3sa2=    [HW,ALSA]

/ml/usr/src/linux-2.6.7/Documentation/sound/oss/OPL3-SA2:Documentation for the OPL3-SA2, SA3, and SAx driver (opl3sa2.o)

/ml/usr/src/linux-2.6.7/Documentation/sound/oss/OPL3-SA2:opl3sa2=<io>,<irq>,<dma>,<dma2>,<mssio>,<mpuio>

/ml/usr/src/linux-2.6.7/Documentation/sound/oss/OPL3-SA2:opl3sa2=0x370,5,0,1,0x530,0x330

/ml/usr/src/linux-2.6.7/Documentation/sound/oss/OPL3-SA2:modprobe opl3sa2 io=0x370 mss_io=0x530 mpu_io=0x330 irq=5 dma=0 dma2=1

/ml/usr/src/linux-2.6.7/Documentation/sound/oss/OPL3-SA2:An important thing to remember that the opl3sa2 module's io argument is

/ml/usr/src/linux-2.6.7/Documentation/sound/oss/OPL3-SA2:error message while trying to insert the opl3sa2 module, then make

/ml/usr/src/linux-2.6.7/Documentation/sound/oss/OPL3-SA2:message "opl3sa2: Unknown Yamaha audio controller version", then you

/ml/usr/src/linux-2.6.7/Documentation/sound/oss/OPL3-SA2:for all messages in the log file that start with "opl3sa2: " and see

/ml/usr/src/linux-2.6.7/Documentation/sound/oss/OPL3-SA2:alias sound-slot-0 opl3sa2

/ml/usr/src/linux-2.6.7/Documentation/sound/oss/OPL3-SA2:options opl3sa2 io=0x370 mss_io=0x530 mpu_io=0x330 irq=7 dma=0 dma2=3

/ml/usr/src/linux-2.6.7/Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt:    other drivers, e.g. snd-cs4232 or snd-opl3sa2.  Some has ISA-PnP

/ml/usr/src/linux-2.6.7/Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt:  Module snd-opl3sa2

localhost:~#

install the kernel-source rpm and read the docs. Ignore the /ml and version (2.6.7) and use your version and dir in /usr/src

Edited by bvc

After reading this page ("Documentation/sound/oss/OPL3-SA2") I still have no idea where to apply the settings or how to apply them. The card is Onboard if that makes any difference. And the bios automatically configures a device's irq, i/o, etc.

The two methods i read about where for the kernel command line, where ever that is. Automatic module loading and i have no clue where to find out if that is on or not.

Alright. Finally figured out how to do automatic module loading. Still nothing...I guess.

After a restart, log off and back in I will get error message. about unable to open device /dev/spd

sound will now use the null output device. Whether that means i am getting closer or not i don't know.

Forgot to say this before: I am running MandrakeLinux 10.0 in KDE 3.2.

It would appear i somehow downloaded the old version. I'm waiting for 10.2 to become final.

:banana:

I GOT IT!!!!!

in the /etc/modprobe.conf

the aliases lines i had:

alias snd-card-0 opl3sa2

alias sound-slot-0 opl3sa2

instead of:

alias snd-card-0 snd-opl3sa2

alias sound-slot-0 snd-opl3sa2

all it took was "snd-" to get it working. took me 3 hours to figure that one out :wall:. It sucks to be a noob. Then i found out that i had to boost the kmix volume controls (they were all at zero)

Got my sound problem solved.

Now for the all-in-one, I bumped into some documentation somewhere...Think I will wait for 10.2 to mess with that. Same goes for the rumblepad too. problem solved.

Now i can goto bed. I was up until 4:30 (gmt -6) last night trying to get it to work and i had to get up 3 hours later.

[edit]

Thanks for the point in the right direction BVC!

bty:

Umm....is it just me or does the preview post button not work??

Edited by bb002