Need soundcard recommendation for MIDI

redss

I've given up on getting my soundcard's MIDI ports working on any of my soundcards (midiman usb 1x1, and "soundblaster compatable" ESS1869, ALS-100, & yamaha ymf-724)

My impression is the most prevalent soundcard for linux users (including midi support) is the soundblaster AWE32, which is out of production (I guess ebay is about the only way to get one?)

There is also the SB live! and the soundblaster16, still available at stores.

Which is the easiest to get running in linux? Your feedback (on any card) is welcome.

Also, if anyone has gotten midi working (using OSS/free, not alsa) on the cards I mentioned I already have (especially usb) please share!

Are you trying to just play midi files or actually do some midi sequencing. If just playing midi files, I think SB Live! or Audigy is the best for it, in terms of quality that is. There is a howto about enabling midi for SB Live! in this board (in tips and tricks section I think).

Of course, if you happen to find old Waveblaster compatible soundcards, such as SB 16 old version and a Waveblaster card such as Yamaha DBXG50, it's a lot easier. I used to have a Aureal card that have the waveblaster header and DBXG50. After paying 30 dollars for the driver, I can play all my midi. Too bad those cards can only be found on ebay now.

I want to do sequencing, so my main goal is simply to have the external midi output AND input (on the joystick cable) both functional.

I just acquired an SBLive and I found the howto that you referred to, but alas, it is for ALSA, not OSS. I am trying to make a howto users of the knoppix liveCD which has incomplete ALSA libraries, so OSS is the easiest way for me to go at this point (no way to install missing ALSA libraries onto a liveCD)

So are you saying the OLD ISA sb16 would be easier than the current PCI sb16? Because I can order the current sb16 for only $20 directly from creative.