display problems with intel 855 video card

Guest robmcw

Okay. So I've installed the official 10.1 distribution. I have the resolution, monitor and video card all selected properly. When I start linux, I also have XP on this computer, the screen is very messed up. The box asking me if the settings are okay has onlky the very top of the box being visible on the screen. There are lines of colours, etc. It's just completely wacky. I've attempted several variations of the settings using FXdrake all with the same outcome.

The video card i have is the intel 855 (GME i think). I'm using a Dell 700m laptop. Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem could be? On another help board it was suggested that I up the amount of memory that the video card has available to it as Dell sometimes has it set to only 1 MB. There are no options in my BIOS to do this (the BIOS is the most current). Does anyone know how to change this?

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem is?

In a couple weeks I'll be getitng my hands on an old(er) PC that I may resort to installing mandrake on if this doesn't work, but I'd really (really really) like to get it on this so I can take it to school and whatnot.

Thanks so much for any help.

how would i go about doing that?

how do i get back to FXdrake now? i boot into mandrake but what is displayed on the screen is not usable as its very very big and such.

ctrl-alt-F5 to get to a command promt. Login as root. Then do

vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Press "i". Scroll down to Section "screen". Change "DefaultColorDepth" to 16. Press esc then type ":wq". Try "startx" or "startdm". If neither work, reboot.

If it all goes horribly wrong, go through the install again and do your monitor settings there (and test them there as well - the "test" button).

(ETA: wretched vi commands...)

Edited by Dustpuppy

Log in failsafe mode at the lilo prompt (not normal linux), type init 3, log in as root (by typing root), type XFdrake (with capital XF), adjust the settings. If all fails choose the vesa driver. Log out as root by typing exit. Log in as normal user and type startx.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I am having the same problem with my 700m. I believe that the problem lies with the xf86config file. I've been looking at this discussion: "Screen Resolution: Linux vs KDE [sOLVED]." However, I am not exactly sure how to go about fixing the problem. During the Mandrake install, it seems that the dell flat panel was recognized. There is a modeline for the correct moniter in the config file. So, currently, I'm stuck.

FYI: try pushing Ctrl+Alt+F6 then Ctrl+Alt+F7. This switching of sessions should allow you to view the full 1280 x 800 pixels of resolution, although in a "virtual desktop" mode (the screen floats when the cursor reaches the screen edge)

All wrong.

There are some issues with intel integrated graphics.

You will need one of the patches here:

http://www.chzsoft.com.ar/855patch.html

That will also allow you to assign more RAM to the graphics, so you can have 24bit (32bit) graphics without any problem.

Note: I have used those patches/wrappers on 2 Dell desktops and 1 laptop, and one other brand laptop. They work fine, unfortunately they are not yet integrated into the X.org graphics subsystem of Linux (should be at some point, at least that's what the author has told me)...