Who can tell how to install the xplanet and..

Guest milwater

Guest milwater

ThankS ~!! I've installed the xplanet and the cloud map nicely~ :lol:

however, I have no idea how to set the satellite file (somewhat complex..)

how to edit the file ?

:thanks:

Other people have done it for you :) And you have to edit the config (default) and not the commandline as totalmarker claims. And for volcanos and stuff just add an other marker_file line in the config. Well you get the idea.... :)

http://www.wizabit.eclipse.co.uk/xplanet/p...script.html#sat

edit: added a screenshot.

Edited by devries

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been able to get cloud maps working with Xplanet since I upgraded to 10.1OE. I downloded Oliver White's perl script 'download_clouds.pl' for getting maps from random servers, but I can't seem to get it going and there's really no specific instructions on his website.

Also, I start Xplanet with these options:

$ xplanet -config /home/tim/.xplanet/config -transparency -random -starmap /usr/X11R6/share/xplanet/stars/BSC

...but I don't get stars in the background like I did before either. Obviously, my brain is not engaged and my smarts are slipping...Can anyone give some step-by-step info on how to do it?

Edited by Crashdamage

Have you made the file 'executable'? What do you get when you type perl download_clouds.pl?

I did chmod 'download_clouds.pl' script to executable (100755).

$ perl download_clouds.pl

was resulting in something like:

$ /bin/bash: bad interpreter:  no such file or directory.

This happened whether root or a user.

However, and sorry this is going way off-topic, but things have gotten MUCH worse. The machine does boot, including starting X. For ease of use for other users on this box, I use the graphical login manager. It fails - acts like it's gonna work, then just kicks back to the login screen, no matter the WM you choose. I can start Fluxbox by opening an aterm and starting Fluxbox from there. Of course, I am able to log into failsafe or just boot to a console. But it many things are broken, like MCC, GnuCash, OO, etc. urpmi is broken, but rpm works.

During the boot sequence there's some error messages along the way about Shorewall failing (no biggie there, I can deal with that later) and

/etc/rcd/5/s15cups/blahblah

and:

/usr/bin/perl: bad interpreter: no such file or directory.

That's the key error. In fact all the broken apps are related to various errors like:

/bin/sh: /usr/bin/drakconf: /usr/bin/perl: bad interpreter: No such file or directory.

Oddly, I also get a bad message during shutdown about:

stopping harddrake excvp no such file or directory.

Never saw that before...but must be related to the various application failures.

All this is my own fault for f*sking around where I didn't quite know what I was doing.

Basically, I think it must be the result of me stupidly tryng to setup 'download_clouds.pl' as a cron job. I was doing this in Webmin, partly 'cause it's easy but mainly 'cause I just happened to have Webmin open anyway when I thought about doing it. It failed to save the new crojob, giving me a message showing the contents of an unspecified file beginning with the line:

"Do not edit this file. Reinstall the master"

or something like that.

After quite a bit of Googling and fooling around without finding a really relavent answer about what do do about the perl errors about "bad interpreter...", I found the above mentioned file in /tmp/.webmin and just deleted it. Then I checked etc/crontab, /etc/cron.d, etc/cron.hourly - everywhere I could think to look for any reference to the failed cron job and found nothing. Then I uninstalled Webmin, hoping that would be the end of that. Unh-unh.

Just for grins, I reinstalled perl, but no help, not that I expected it would.

I've also deleted 'download_clouds.pl' from where I'd put it. It is no longer anywhere on the system.

Bottom line is I've seriously broken my system and don't know how to fix it. That's the bad news. The good is I bet it can be fixed fairly easily if someone can tell me what to do. At this point, I'm stuck, and reduced to posting this from my laptop and not looking forward to reinstalling at all.

Edited by Crashdamage

Let urpmi sort it out for you. First do an update (MCC, software, updates) Then, make sure you have all the 'media' (repositories) and type urpmi.update -a and after that urpmi --auto-select. Hopefully that works. If not the fastest way out of this mess is a reinstall. Don't format your /home partition (all your user setting will be saved).

I use kcron to setup my cronjob. All I need to do is type the command perl /path to script/dowmload_clouds.pl, Check everyday and every 3 hours and that is it. In the script you can change the download folder.

Have fun.

edit: forget toanswer your original question: you nee to change the first line of the script to where perl is installed. I have /usr/bin/perl. Perhaps you have /usr/local/bin/perl.?

Let urpmi sort it out for you.

urpmi is broken (see my post again) so that's not an option.

you need to change the first line of the script to where perl is installed. I have /usr/bin/perl. Perhaps you have /usr/local/bin/perl.?

Even after reinstalling the perl package (see prior post agian) there is no /user/bin/perl, /'usr/local/bin/perl, etc.

which perl

no perl in (/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usrX11R6/bin: etc,etc)

Please tell me I don't have to reinstall...

I finally gave up on fixing perl. Who knows what happened to screw perl up so bad. But I was wasting more time trying to fix it than I would reinstalling, even though that's an awful lot of work on my box. So I've already done the basic reinstall, but still have a couple of day's worth of config and stuff to do. This is a pretty complicated installation for a desktop workstation. Anway...

change the first line of the script to where perl is installed.

I'll change the path in the 'download_clouds.pl' script and set it up as a cron job WITHOUT using Webmin. Anything else I should know, for instance where you put the script, etc. I want to make no mistakes this time...

Still trying to get clouds...

I put the xplanet setup file (/default) under ~/.xplanet/config/default and use this startup command to set some options and tell xplanet where to find the config file at startup:

xplanet -config ~/.xplanet/config -transparency -random -starmap /usr/X11R6/share/xplanet/stars/BSC

Made a minor edit to the 'default' config file to tell xplanet where to look for 'clouds.jpg' (put under the "Earth" section of the config file as it should be so xplanet doesn't try to draw clouds on everything):

cloud_map=~/.xplanet/clouds.jpg

And edit the 'download_clouds.pl' script to put the downloaded 'clouds.jpg" file where I want:

# Set options:
#  - where to save the downloaded file (default is current directory)
my $Filename = "~/.xplanet/clouds.jpg";

Now to add the 'download_clouds.pl' script as a cron job. But I can't find kcron anywhere. KDE is messed up, and I don't want to bother to fix it. Basically, I just don't give a squat about KDE. So I just added a user cron job the old-fashioned way:

$ crontab -e
0 3,6,9,12,15,18,21 * * * perl /usr/X11R6/share/xplanet/scripts/download_clouds.pl

...which wrote the crontab in /var/spool/cron. OK, I should be set, right?

Still no clouds. Hmmm...maybe it's not finding the cloud file, so I try running xplanet from a terminal to check for error messages. But xplanet starts without complaint and no errors on exit.

A check in ~/.xplanet shows no cloud file has been downloaded there. Jeez...no wonder I still don't have clouds.

So I try manually running the script from a terminal:

$ perl  /usr/X11R6/share/xplanet/scripts/download_clouds.pl
Using http://giga.forfun.net/clouds_2048.jpg
Downloading...
Download not available, trying another website

Using http://enekyn.com/xplanet/clouds_2048.php
Downloading...

Using http://myhome.hanafos.com/~hyoungkee/cloud_data/clouds_2048.jpg
Downloading...

ERROR: Tried to download the file 3 times, but no servers could provide the file

Repeating the script tries various the various sites listed in the script but never finds and downloads the cloud file.

So anyone know what's up with this? Have I messed up on syntax or something? Or is today just my lucky day and the cloud images aren't available today?

But hey, at least I haven't trashed perl again somehow.

BTW, anyone know an exit command for xplanet?

Edited by Crashdamage

kcron: urpmi kdeadmin

Yes a syntax error: try $HOME/.xplanet/clouds.jpg

And there are no clouds now for a couple of days on most of the mirrors :(.

exit command: killall xplanet

To explain a bit more: the default file is the default config file. If you just copied the /usr/X11/share/xplante folder to $HOME (and put a . in front of it :) ) there is no need to tell xplanet where to find the config file: It will read the default file in $HOME/.xplnaet/config/default. In that default file you need to tell where xplanet can find the clouds.jpg (cloud_map = /home/your name/.xplanet/clouds.jpg). The same goes for other data (volcanos, text, eartquakes etcetc). Just put in the default file: marker_file=/home etcetc) where xplanet needs to find the information.

Good luck.

Thanks devries! I'll make the changes and try again.

Update: Still no go, but now I can't tell if it fails 'cause I can't get a cloud map or if it's still something else that's my fault. Supposedly, it's all set up, cron job and all. I guess if I login in a couple of days and have clouds I'll know I got it right.

exit command: killall xplanet

DUH! Why didn't I think of that??? I gotta be gettin' senile...

Edited by Crashdamage