Fedora horribly slow after updates

hi there. :)

here goes my problem after i couldn't find anything useful on the net.

my lappy runs currently with fedora3. it has a 1,8 ghz processor, 30 gb hdd, 64 mb nvidia gfx (no 3d enabled), realteck eth0 and orinoco based wlan card, 256 mb ram. today, i did let it update after it somehow crashed terribly (it had never done that before) and needed several boots to rebuild the partition-structure. :pc:

the /home folder is okay now. the /root was also checked intensively and showed no signs of malfunctioning. i thought that one package might have caused the disaster, so i ran up2date and installed a whopping 91 packages, including a newer kernel.

so far, so good. after updating, i rebootet into the new kernel and EVERYTHING at the booting-phase took ages. i rebooted with the old kernel. same result. it takes roughly five minutes to boot into the system and every app i start is running slow now. my services need almost twice the amount of ram they needed before. i also thought that maybe initscripts or the cronjob might cause trouble (had read several such things on other forums) but i must say, i have no idea what i should tweak there if i should tweak them at all.

this leaves me now with the slowest laptop in the universe... :puter:

any ideas how to get the speed back before i wipe the /root partition and install gentoo or mandrake? :unsure:

Edited by arctic

thanks.

i tested it and ... well.. udev needs a long time now, just like audio detection. and the cpu is somehow running at half-speed. it always reports that it can not set cpu-frequency because it cannot write to the relevant file in (i guess it was, but might need to look at it again) /usr/bin, bacuase it does not exist.

i deactivated several services that got activated for no apparent reason and now it boots in roughly three minutes from start to gnome 2.8. well... a bit better but not especially great, either. what makes me really wonder is why the cpu-speed got throttled down to 50% of its original speed. :huh:

What kind of hardware do you have? Laptop/desktop & cpu:

CPU info:

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep 'cpu MHz'

What govenor is running:

/sbin/lsmod | grep cpufreq

What speed is it currently running at:

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq

we discussed the matter in #musb and it seems that something is terribly wrong with one of the update packages i got. topic is thus UNRESOLVED, as we didn't find any solution other than reinstalling/installing different distro.

:oops: