Anyone Using ohphone?

mac57

ohphone is the openh323 client for voice and video calling. It is analagous to Gnomemeeting, but with a command line interface instead of a GUI interface. I would like to get ohphone running so that I could have another H323 client that I can use to help sort out some Gnomemeeting issues I am having.

I have a Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 webcam and use the new Saillard pwc driver for it. It works great in Gnomemeeting and in camstream (the pwc test program) but ohphone just doesn't seem to "see" the webcam. Instead, I get what looks like the old "TV test pattern". Specifying /dev/video0 doesn't seem to help. I am wondering if in Mandrake 10.1 CE, with the advent of udev, there is some other nomenclature I need to use to specify the video device for ohphone to use. I notice that neither Gnomemeeting nor camstream refer to it as /dev/video0 (although I can see that device in the /dev directory when the camera is plugged in); instead they show its full textual name "Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000".

By the way, the problem I am trying to solve in Gnomemeeting is one of jerky video. Despite having lots of bandwidth uplink (I have 768K uplink) my transmitted video is jerky, almost like it is transmitting about 1 frame a second. I have adjusted all the video codec settings in Gnomemeeting to tell it I have lots of bandwidth and want at least 8 frames a second, but it doesn't seem to work. Wondering if there is a bug somewhere deep in the heart of Mandrake, I wanted to test out another H323 client and see how it performed. I used to use ohphone on another distro and hence the attempt.

Any and all insights much appreciated.

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]