losing connection settings

Guest tmarsh

Helllo. This is my first post here, I am relatively new to linux, I have tinkered in the past with suse but have recently installed mandrake 10.1, dual-booting with wxp pro.

I've had problems with setting up my netgear dg630 router. I followed a thread here that was similar to my problem but it didn't work for me. To get the connection working I had to add the primary and secondary server addresses to the INTERNET ACCESS section in MCC but if I log out they disappear. I cannot connect until I type them in again. I'm using dhcp.

The connection works OK when the server addresses are added but I have to do that each boot otherwise the connection takes ages and usually doesn't connect at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

yes, you should activate "obtain server adresses automatically". as you are using a router, i guess you should use dhcp.

when talking about server-adresses, do you mean the ip-adress to connect from the box to the router or do you mean the dns-server adress? in the latter case, change the /etc/resolv.conf file as root (add some valid dns-server adresses from your isp) and lock the file, typing in a terminal "chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf" as root. this will lock the file.

good luck.

Have you installed the latest firmware from the Netgear site? It sounds like what happened to me when I first tried to install my Netgear without updating.

Yes

yes, you should activate "obtain server adresses automatically".  as you are using a router, i guess you should use dhcp.

This was activated. I changed it and input the primary server but still no good.

when talking about server-adresses, do you mean the ip-adress to connect from the box to the router or do you mean the dns-server adress? in the latter case, change the /etc/resolv.conf file as root (add some valid dns-server adresses from your isp) and lock the file, typing in a terminal "chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf" as root. this will lock the file.

good luck.

dns server address. Thanks, I'll have a go.