10.1 Refuses to Load KDE/Gnome/etc.

Guest jdecock

Guest jdecock

I'm attempting to install Linux for the first time, so my experience is very limited. I'm basing my information about what is supposed to happen off the screenshots found at http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slidesho...ase=193&slide=1.

I have a computer with an ASUS A8V Deluxe VIA K8T800 Pro motherboard, an AMD Athlon 64 3800+ processor, and an nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT 256MB graphics card. I'm using the download version of Mandrake 10.1 Official.

When I try to install the OS, everything goes smoothly until I get to the Summary screen. It informs me that it couldn't detect the correct Graphical Interface. I click on Configure, leave it on GeForce 6800, select my monitor (Gateway VX900), and set the resolution. When I press Test, though, it gives me an error. I've tried a LOT of different configurations, but haven't found anything that works, so I left it on the closest I could find to my actual configuration.

Now, when Linux boots, it goes to a command line and asks me to login. Even after loggin in, however, I still don't have access to a GUI, just the terminal. I know that when I installed I said to automatically log me into the system using KDE.

I also tried manually installing the latest nVidia drivers that I downloaded using FTP, but they refused to install.

--

Jason

Guest jdecock

I also tried typing "startx" at the command prompt and got the following error:

[bunch of X version info]

Using vt 7
(EE) Failed to load module "usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.a" (once-only module, 135962511
)
((EE) No devices detected

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Please consult The X.Org Foundation support
    at http://wiki.X.org
for help
Please also check the log file at "var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information

XIO: fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
    after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining

--

Jason

Check that you are using the correct resolution and colors in your setup. Stick with 1024X768X24 for the "nv" driver, which is the one Mandrake comes with. After you are gui-ized, download and install the Nvidia driver from their web-site and get your card working correctly.

The errors list a module used only for open gl graphics, which would not cause the server to bale. I am guessing a simple configuration problem. Don't use 32 bit color. Stick with 24.