Quality of software in Mandrake 10.1 PP

pbpersson

Everyone keeps saying how the free software in Linux is so great. However, I have tried a few things in Mandrake 10.1 PP and I'm not that impressed.

For instance, I had an MP3 file that contained spoken words all the way to the end of the file. The speaker said something like "This file was created on September 27th, 1996"

When I played the file in Totem it cut off the end so the year sounded like 1990

When I played the file in MPlayer it did even worse - the entire year was missing!

I was playing with some wave files last night. I tried one application here and the begginning of the file was all muffled and the volume was soft. So I turned the speakers up. I tried several wave files and they all actied the same way. Then I tried another applicatioin and the volume was fine - nearly knocked me off my chair since I had turned the speakers way up - but it only played the first half of the wave file. It had a little screen like Totem where it was going to display a graphic while the file played. When the file stopped in the middle a little splash screen appeared with the name of the program.

So.....what's up? Where do I go to get a Linux application that works just like Media Player in Windows?

Phil

To be honest I find Totem sucks... even though it uses the xine engine it somehow manages to hang or do funny things...

I can't say I ever noticed the problem your having though....

Have you tried using MP3 players instead of video biassed players btw?

xmms or mp123 etc. ??

The volume thing is annoying... however you may have used for instance on applicaiton using one sound system and another using a diferent one. For instance Xine/Mplayer/XMMS etc. can all be set to use different sound servers and the different sounds servers have different mixers.