Linuc crashes sometimes due to an pppoa3-error

Michel

I have a little problem. Linux crashes sometimes due to an error reported by pppoa3. I have an adsl-line and ...use pppoa3: Sometimes I go to an msn-group: When I close a foto-page for example...linux crashes. I use Mozilla and I see the following error in my syslog-file:

Jan 7 19:43:26 localhost michel: Shorewall Stopped

Jan 7 19:43:26 localhost michel: Shorewall Cleared

Jan 7 19:43:31 localhost michel: Shorewall Started

Jan 7 19:47:08 localhost pppoa3[2235]: CRC error in an AAL5 frame

Jan 7 19:54:27 localhost syslogd 1.4.1: restart.

Can this be the cause: It's the error just before the restart-command appears....

(It happen 2-3 times with this error!!!: The last time my mouse still worked, the other times everythjing froze: Maybe because I changed shorewall settings to check on tcp-flags and drop unclean packets.... )

Thanks...

I tried it also at school where they have Redhat. It doesn't crash, but linux slows down a lot( really a lot! ). I don't know if I can call it a crash with me, but I have to press the restart button anyway( One time I was playing some music while surfing and when (almost)everything froze, th music kept playing and the mouse was still moving, but I couldn't press anything, also not at the desktop. The key-board commands like ctrl-alt-esc didn't work(didn't respond).

Here is the website that crashes my linux(there are two, but here is the biggest problem ):

http://groups.msn.com/FamilieDVSKerstmis2003

Try some links on the websites, but my linux crashes mostly when I try to enlarge a foto(by clicking on it) and then, when I want to go back, it crashes(also Galeon, ... do this ). Sometimes it even crashes, just when I enter the site. ( if it matters(but don't think so ) I don't accept the cookies )).

Let me now if tou try...

Thanks,

Michel

I have monitored mozilla a little bit and I have found something strange I think.

When mozilla reaches a vmsize of around 50000 linux crashes( This is not sure, but I think it )

As long I stay on the website( see link prev message ) my vm-size keeps rising. I have not the newest version of Mozilla, but it also happens with the other browsers.

Mozilla has also a cache-size of 50000... But it almost only happens on this site...so can the cache be a problem...???

Michel

MIchel,

What makes u think ur crash is pppoa3 related ? I use pppoe ( http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/ ) for my DSL connection and I have never had crashes due to it.

Also, I am using mozilla 1.2.1 on mandrake-9.0. Once, starting mozilla (with a blank page) caused its memory use to go up to 200MB+ and the system load was > 2 for about half a minute or so. But, soon both memory usage and load came down to normal. I could not reproduce the problem so I can't guess about the possible cause of the spike but it may be a mozilla bug.

Also, the link u posted loads just fine in konqueror (KDE 3.1rc5) and in mozilla-1.2.1.

I doubt that mozilla cache has anything to do with this. What version of mandrake and mozilla are u using ?

I'm using Mandrake 9.0 with Mozilla 1.1

I thought it was pppoa3, bacause just before the restart-command a pppoa3-error appeared.

It can be something else... I only see the effect and that is that my desktop freezes...I'm going to try to load the page in an other environment...,If you have a possible cause of my problem you may always tell me. I'll also upgrade to the newest versions and then I'll see again....

I'll first upgrade Mozilla and then let you know something...

Thanks,

Michel