10.1 Powerpack uncompress ramdisk problem

lospeed

I am trying to instal MDK PowerPack 10.1 CDs (boxed set) onto a PC (2.4GHz, 512MB RAM) with two hard drives. Windows 98 is on drive hda (40GB) and MDK is to go on hdb (40GB).

The installation from CD is failing at the very start. After clicking for the standard installation, I get “Detecting USB devices”, and then “Loading program into memory”. The next thing is “Could not uncompress second stage ramdisk”. I click OK and get “Proceeding, please wait”. Then the PC hangs or goes back to the start.

As it is a Powerpack there should be MDK support, so I tried MandrakeExpert - but I have been waiting for a response from them since Saturday and it is now Monday afternoon here.

If I click Alt F3 during the problem it says something like

end-request: IO-error, dev hdd, sector.......

Buffer IO-error or device hdd, logical block 306169

mounting /dev/hdd on /sysroot/tmp/image type iso9660

succeeded isofs

found Mandrakelinux CDROM

Total memory 512 MB

Trying to load sysroot/tmp/image/install/stage2/mkdinst_stage2.b z2"

Then it ends with: “kernel panic - fatal exception in interrupt”

It is detecting the drives OK and it says it has found the CDROM with MDK disk. My CDROM drive seems to work OK in normal use.

Googling for the “uncompress second stage ramdisk” seems to suggest it is usually due to faulty downloads - but this is Powerpack CDs bought in a box.

Any help will be welcome!

Further information on this one.....

Mandrake have since responded and suggested a couple of things. First, check memory using memtest by booting from MDK CD1 and going to F1 - the result was a Pass with no errors. Second, try another CD-RW.

So I tried the CD1 in another, similar, Pentium PC (but which has a different make of CD-RW - I think the name is Microstar) and found that it will start the installation OK (I went as far as the step where you choose the language). But the Benq CD-RW on the original PC works OK for installing applications on Windows and burning CDs on Windows. Therefore Mandrake now suggest there is a compatibility problem between MDKlinux and my Benq CD-RW on that PC. They say it doesn’t work with some CD-RWs.

So I guess I will have to try connecting up a different CD-RW to the original PC, at least to get the installation done.

Edited by lospeed

• 3 weeks later...