Cannot record audio MDK 10.1 PowerPack [solved]

Guest SoundSystem

Guest SoundSystem

I got mandrake 10.1 installed and it works just fine, everything's great in this distro, i love it

my only problem is that i wanna tell all my friends how great it is when i chat to them in TeamSpeak, but i can't get it to record through my mic :angry:

i've tried all and every combination of mixer settings and played with the levels and i still can't get it to work. Having had a look in the linux documentation project i encountered:

6.32. Only user root can record sound

By default the script in Readme.linux that creates the sound device files only allows the devices to be read by user root. This is to plug a potential security hole. In a networked environment, external users could conceivably log in remotely to a Linux PC with a sound card and microphone and eavesdrop. If you are not worried about this, you can change the permissions used in the script.

With the default setup, users can still play sound files. This is not a security risk but is a potential for nuisance.

i'm thinking maybe i need to adjust that file but i can't find it.

if anyone knows how to do this please let me know, also if anyone thinks i'm wrong then let me know

any solutions would be great thanks

These are the settings i use for teamspeak with a sblive

open alsamixer, and make sure you have:

"Mic" in 0% Volume (zero), and "Capture" writen over it (use space to toggle the capture flag).

Mic Boost muted (MM over it, use "m" to toggle)

"Capture" at 80% Volume, and capture flag set (capture writen over it)

"AC97 Capture" at 100%

Nothing else (except "Mic" and "Caputure" to have the Capture flag set).

Then try with push to talk, and see if somebody can hear you (or if you can hear yourself in the local testmode).

Good luck.

Guest SoundSystem

i messed with alsamixer in the console and after changing like 10 settings on and off again in various combinations i got it. there are a few settings which are from the kmix control. i'm not entirely sure which setting was the one which fixxed it but i know it works now and i'm not changing it. Thanks for the help guys :D