Yoper Linux

Hello, all!

After MDK giving me some headaches with some glitches I want to take a breath of fresh air and try something different.

To my attention came Yoper.

What do you know of it, are there any problems, is it worth the try?

I use my computer as a home desktop and mostly use for office and multimedia tasks.

How is Yoper with hardware detection, is it capable of 5.1 sound through SB Live?

Is it easy enough to get it connect to internet (and LAN)?

I've been using Linux since March last year and don't feel quite ready for Debian and don't have enough time for Gentoo (compiling hell).

thanx!

i shouldn't say this as a member of the yoper-development (i hope nobody of my yoper-co-workers hear me :P) but it is not useful to use yoper right now. we are in the middle of testing the 2.2 version. although i didn't have any mayor problems on my gnome 2.8 yoper-development partition i would recommend to wait till end of january. this is when we hope to release the next version. so downloading the 2.1 version right now would be a bit "pointless" imho.

if you want a fast deployable distro, have you already tested some alternatives like mepis? i do only hear good things about it and my mepis live cd worked well those last months. other very stable alternatives: vidalinux (if you are a gnome freak) and suse 9.2 (for kde-lovers, both fresh out now)

Oh, thanx a lot, arctic! :)

I'll look at Mepis then.

What do you think/know Yoper 2.2 will be?

i do know that 2.2. will have the 2.6.10 kernel it will be a lot better than 2.1. there will be a gnome 2.8 based iso and kde 3.4 based iso if i am not completely mistaken. both will have firefox 1.0 as default browser, thunderbird as mail client, open-office and some more stuff.

Edited by arctic

well, different persons, different tastes. i am a gnome-guy although i was a kde-guy before... i simply like the mac-like feeling i get when working with gnome. :D

time for a :beer:

Hmmm.. I tried again to use Gnome. Got to credit you, I like it better now, than I did in the days of Mandrake 9.1 (yea, I used Linux then for a while).

Actually I quite like it, damn you!

Though I feel limited when using its' config. I can config kde a lot faster and what's more important, to a greater extent.

Gnome has a great range of config too, go grab yourself gconf-editor to get some of the hidden stuff.

Also, gnome project works more toward a clean usable well organised product, rather then packing more features in with each release. Besides, there isnt really much you can do in KDE that you cant in GNOME...

NO!

lol

j/k, I used it when it started and i played with it in it's last release or 2

What I can tell you from a fairly long time with LINUX is the following,

New bags will alwalys come a long that will tempt you.

Distros will last 1-2 years before they fall way

Don't always fall for the hype :P

Me, I stay with a few good/strong distros. But i have several play boxs to mess with the boys/girls that think they might be something.

I'm not trying to take away from distro's like yoper, really i have just been using so many for so many years that , i can pretty much see whats going on :D

Sure, I agree, but as long as my /home stays, I don't mind changing distros.

Ditched Ubuntu, it has too many Gnome artefacts when running KDE.

Returned to Mandrake and am trying to locate the source of my frustrations.