No Sound After Waking from Hibernation

Guest FuzzieBio

Guest FuzzieBio

I have a Toshiba M35X-S149 Laptop, with Mandrake 10.1 Official Edition using Kernel 2.6.10.

The onboard sound uses the snd-Intel8x0 module, while it is a 855GME chipset.

When I wake linux from a hibernate, everything works save the sound. The fist sound that I play via any application stutters the first half second of the sound for a few seconds, then dies. Further attempts at playing sounds result in nothing, and XMMS doesnt even bother to try playing, while MPD dies.

Also, it takes quite a while at a normal boot for ALSA to detect the soundcard and apply the mixer settings, if that helps any.

If you need something posted to help, just let me know.

If it is ALSA that causes the problems try OSS (an alternative sound architecture). Go to the Mandrake Control Center, Hardware, Hardware, soundcard. Click configure and choose a non ALSA (snd-XXXXX) module. The MCC should take care of everything else. Make sure that when you do this no audio applications are opened (including mixers in the systray) and check in MCC, system, services if the ALSA service has shut down.

Good luck.

Guest FuzzieBio

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try right now.

UPDATE:

All of the listed OSS drivers, which would be intel_i810 and nvaudio, give no sound whatsoever when I test via the KDE control panel (after setting the sounds system to OSS). I am going to see if I can find any other drivers that arent in 'Drake's alternate driver list.

The card is reported as Intel ICH4 via Harddrake, which is listed in OSS's compatibility list, problem is, it doesnt list which of their drivers work with that card :angry:

Any suggestions in the meantime? :help:

----

Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)

Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems: Unknown device ff01

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17

I/O ports at 1c00

I/O ports at 18c0

Memory at e0100c00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Memory at e0100800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2

^ What lspci gives me.

Edited by FuzzieBio

Guest FuzzieBio

Alright, I figured out what was wrong.

If you hibernate with anything accessing the sound card, it wont work properly when the computer wakes up. I shut down XMMS, thinking that was the problem, but it still didnt work. It apears that having KMix open, sitting in the tray, messed everything up. Sound works after hibernation correctly now.

No I gotta get the wireless to get going after it wakes from hibernation.

Thanks for the help.