Share Printer

Guest ump

I don't know if I can do this or not I have a Windoze ME computer that I share my internet connection with that has a printer attached to it. I want to be able to send things to be printed to that printer.

I have MDK 9.0 installed connected to a Netgear MR314 DSl/Cable Router I am using a standard cat 5 connecting my MDK box to the router I am using the wireless to allow the WIN ME box to share the cable internet connection is there an easy way to use this setup to see and send files to this printer.

Please phrase all replies using Noobie speak :wink:

Thanks in Advance

ump

You can use that printer. It would have been best to install it while installing Mandrake, but you can do it now from the Mandrake Control Panel.

Setting it up is pretty easy. Remember to use cups as opposed to printing without queueing and make sure that Samba is set up.

This might not make much sense now, but it will. Also, keep posting your results as you go, hopefully you won't have any issues.

Could not set it up when I set up MDK as it is not connected to my box and there was no network at the time.

So I need to setup Samba then try to see the Win box on the network then make sure cups is inastalled and can see the printer. ????

ump

Printerdrake is now running but it can't find printer.

Samba sees the other computer but gives no details

I not really sure if I have the settings right as far as names go

PD asked for Samba server host and Share name

I used what samba had listed as the server host

but not sure what the share name should be or where to find it

Thanks in advance

ump

Guest joehill

ok, don't get annoyed, but just to be sure: file and printer sharing is enabled, but is the printer specifically shared out.

ie. right click on printer choose "share this printer" or whatever it is.

sorry, but it's best to be sure.

It's funny, I just tried to do the same thing today, though the windows machine is XP. I got the printer to configure as a remote share, and the printer responded to the print request, the test pages were just blank. i guess I need samba installed like you have.

anyway, it should work basically as soon as the printer is explicitly shared out on the windoze box. one thing to try is install LinNeighborhood, it will scan your workgroup for shares and allows you to mount them. that's another thing, it might be a good idea to make sure that both machines on your network are in the workgroup named "workgroup".

Well I have made some progress I can see the My document directory on the windoze box I can't see anything in the there but it's a step in the right direction.

I checked to make sure that the printer is shared and yes it is so I am at a loss

any other ideas anyone

ump