Getting started in Knoppix

'Ning

Never thought I'd be posting about another distro after only being with Mandy a few months, but hey. Got a nifty 64MB pen-drive for Chrimbo, and currently my own laptop is having battery probs so I was left with my GF's WinME (please god deliver me) laptop.

So in a flash (and I do mean that - just a couple hours on Bittorrent :banana: ) I'd acquired Knoppix 3.7 to while away the rest of my Sunday.

After a few boots and generally loving what I saw, I came to the nitty-gritty issues: storage and internet access. This has not gone so well.

The pen-drive mounts okay (provided it's inserted at boot), but when I tried to run through the 'Create persistent home directory' script, the only option the GUI would give me was the HD. I read the bit about specifying the home mount-point at boot, and (though I wasn't convinced this alone would do the trick) set out to try making a KNOPPIX folder on the pen. This didn't work in GUI or shell, because it was mounted as read-only. And modifying /etc/fstab isn't gonna be very persistent, I guess...!

So, question 1: how can I make it so I can mount the pen r/w at boot, or in a very simple manner thereafter? So far I haven't figured out how to mount it if I insert it after boot, so I'm not at all sure where to start.

Internet - the GF is using a Belkin wifi card, same model as I use effortlessly with MDK10.1 and ndiswrapper 0.8 or whatever is preinstalled with Mandy. (I haven't needed to do all the tortuous old-version removal with 10.1 that I did with 10.0)

I've not yet ascertained what version Knoppix is using, but old MDK10.0 problems are coming back to haunt me, namely a total freeze. With 10.0 I'd gotten round this by loading the driver (modprobe ndiswrapper) before inserting the card, but when I use the script provided in Knoppix, then insert the card, it still freezes.

Question 2: what (besides the drivers) can I pack onto the pen, to help ndiswrapper load-up without issue? I'd like to be able to store a couple of alternate ifcfg-wlan0 files on there too if possible (just home, work, pub - Edinburgh's not a big place for wifi).

I know this is a big and rambling issue, but even if you can take a swipe at one of the above issues, I'd welcome the advice. I love the ease of 'infecting' unsuspecting Winboxes with Linux (MUA-HA-HA) and would like to make a go of this, but Q1 is an absolute must. Q2 is really to keep me sane while I wait to get back to good ol' Mandy.

G'night then. Hope you come up with some peals of wisdom!

Okay, you can scrap Q1 [i'm just relating this for posterity of course]

I went ahead with the home-directory script, and was able to save an .IMG of my /home onto the Windows partition. So, just for once, let's hear it for FAT32-based Win32!

I then copied this image onto the pen drive, rebooted into Knoppix with

linux26 home=/mnt/uba1

and game on! Note this doesn't make the rest of the pen writeable, but the image (whose size I set to 30MB) is.

ndiswrapper is still a problem though. I tried doing the whole setup through shell, but still ended in a panic..