Won't boot after install...

Guest Dissonance

Guest Dissonance

Ok, anyways, I downloaded the Mandrake 10.1 Mini-ISO. I have the 3 full ISO's, but I've ran out of CD-R's to put them on. All I have are 650 Mb CD-RW's, and the full ISO's won't fit on those. Hence, the Mini.

Back to the point: I put the CD in my drive, and booted. Entered the installer, and ...

(After long periods of what appeared to be system lockups, it FINALLY got to the next section. Between each section of the installer, it takes 5-10 minutes. I would really like to fix that problem too...)

... "installed" Mandrake. Throughout the install, it gave me errors, that said: "could not find package" or something to that extent. After clicking around for hours, I finally got it to finish the install. I got to the bootloader section, and TRIED to add some entries to it. Well, I got fed up with it (It wasn't adding the things that I told it too) and restarted. When I got back to the installer, I told it to "upgrade"... And it FINALLY finished. It said everything was perfect, and It even let me go over my options again. It was at this time that I configured my Video, and Network, which had red "Not Configured" or something next to it. After all of that, it said to remove all the media, and reboot. Which I did.

Now, whenever I reboot, the computer tries to take me straight into my Windows partition. Of course that's not what I want it to do.

I've tried booting into rescue, and re-installing LILO, but it says that my lilo.conf file is unreadable. I've searched the directory tree to the best of my ability (I'm a Windows guy, so give me a break. All the "ls" and "cd" commands confuse me) and I haven't even FOUND a lilo.conf file. (Assuming the file is in /mnt/etc/... which is probably wrong.)

So, what should I do?

Edited by Dissonance

My guess is download errors. Be sure to run the md5sum on the iso file prior to burning to verify the integrity of the download.

Guest Dissonance
My guess is download errors. Be sure to run the md5sum on the iso file prior to burning to verify the integrity of the download.

Exactly how would I go about doing this? I'm on my WinXP laptop right now. I did a google for Windows MD5Sums, and I downloaded "Fastsum" ( http://www.fastsum.com/ ) But when I try to run it, it tells me it can't find the file, even when they're both (.md5 and .iso) in the same directory.

I redownloaded the mini-ISO before you said that. I'll burn THAT one, and then I'll post results.