Mandrake 10.0. Workstation. What is it?

Pepse

I just got a DVD of Mandrake 10.0 Workstation. The person I got it from claims it is the 10.0 PowerPack DVD. When I installed it on an extra hard drive it comes up as 10.0 Community. The DVD and DVD case say Workstation. So, by my guess it is the standard version. In otherwords if it was on CD-ROMs there would be 3 CD's instead of 6. Am I right or wrong??

Later. Pepse.

OK, let's put it another way. If this is the PowerPack DVD and I went to "add software" what is a piece of software I could type in that would be on the PowerPack DVD and NOT on the Community DVD??

Pepse.

That is a good idea but of course I can't get there. I went to a konsole and went root and I cd'd to /etc/radhat-release and it says it is not a directory. So I cd'd to /etc/ and did ls and it shows (in lite blue writing) redhat-release@ . So, I know it is there anyway. Being that that didn't work I decided to read what I could when I did a shutdown and reboot and I saw "2.6.3-7". So my guess is that it is the standard edition.

Pepse.

I have 10.0 OE and the kernel is the 2.6.3-7. In my particular case, it is 2.6.3-7mdk-i686-up-4GB, since I have 1.5 GB ram and the 2.6 enterprise kernel is not installed.

Yes, Official. Retail Box (new) from Amazon dot com.

First thing to say is that I put the DVD in my rom opened it and there is a bit of text that states " pkg-10.0-Official-Powerpack-i586.idx ". So, when I open that text box with Kwrite I get a big list of probably everything on the DVD and what Kernel version it uses such as Kernel 3.7.x, 2.4.x, 2.6.3.7, and so on. There is also a text box with "VERSION". So when clicking on it it states " Mandrake 10.0 Official-Powerpack-i586 20040330. So, it may or may not be; that is this DVD says it should be Powerpack but as far as its been stated I should have Kernel 2.6.3-8. Also, for what it's worth, when I click on the Mandrake folder it shows 5 folders of RPM's, if that matters in figuring this out.

Now, if it is OK I will mention that I am having errors when trying to install RPM's from the DVD. I can't install the "ibdvd.xxx " RPM's or Thunderbird RPM. I don't recall the exact error from the libdvd.xxx RPMs but I can say they are similar to the Thunderbird error, which is: Mandrake Packages Bad Signatures: Mozilla-Thunderbird-0.5-12mdk.i586rpm: Invalid signature ((SHA1) DSA sha1 md5 (GPG) (MISSING KEY) GPG# 26752624 NOT OK) Do you want to continue? Of course I canceled. I did load most of the Linux games as well as Pysol games and there was no problem so, I am not sure what these problems are caused from.

Later. Pepse.

I checked and I was wrong about the kernel being 2.6.3-8mdk - it must have been 2.6.3-7mdk for OE, since there was this security advisory:

http://www.mandrakesoft.com/security/advis...=MDKSA-2004:029

where you can see that the updated kernel for 10.0 has the name:

10.0/RPMS/kernel-2.6.3.8mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

About the errors, this happens whenever they mess up on the keys - I already noted this in my mdk10.1OE review where some packages have this issue too. I don't know where to get the right keys, I just took my chances... Of course the right way would be to incorporate the right keys.. there is a command (which I forgot) that you can use if you know the ftp location of the key(s).

So, some of the things I install will be OK, and some will have bad keys. I'll deal with it. So, if anything I should go to the Penguin Liberation Front and download their latest libDVD.xxxx files, and then to Mozilla for Thunderbird?

Thanx for helping me figure out that I have 10.0 PP. I know I am usually .1 or .2 behind the majoity of users but by the time 10.2 comes out I'll get 10.1 and the bugs should be ironed out in it :D .

Later. Pepse.