From Bad updates to >

ChrisM

Using the MCC in 10.1 to get security updates etc - I did it today and I got a warning that three updates had 'bad signatures'. I have the option to carry on with the install. If I say no, then nothing at all (I believe) will get installed. So, I select 'yes', (and on this occasion it turns out that there were also problems related to mirror sites, not being able to open the packages). So, all the list, bar the 3 updates with bad sigs are installed.

This whole thing about bad signatures still somewhat worries me. Am I being dumb - I've come across this a couple of times - unless you carry on with an install with bad signatures then you just can't install a multi dependency download.

Question. Using URPMI/MCC>Updates - is it ALWAYS safe to say 'yes' carry on with a download, even if there are bad signatures etc? My understanding is that as URPMI is a trusted source so its always safe to do so.

I'm reluctant to use Mandrake online - but if it guarantees security updates, I may consider it - though I'd prefer to use MCC if I new it was safe (but then this wouldn't overcome other installation issues).

Edited by ChrisM

It's not always safe, no. The point of signature checking is to guard against the possibility of the mirrors getting hacked or compromised in some way. However, most of the current errors are being caused by some kind of problem at MDK, i.e., some of the packagers seem to be unaware / unable to sign packages with the right key. If you can find out the key that the package *is* signed with (I don't know if MandrakeUpdate tells you this - if not, try updating with urpmi instead), stick it in Google and you'll see whether it's an MDK key or not. One gets you ten it's just been signed with the wrong MDK key. If so, it's perfectly safe to install.

Guest Lakota

you should be able to fix up your keys.

for bad signatures in security updates,you can import the security team keys with:

# gpg --recv-keys --keyserver pgp.mit.edu 0x22458A98

you should be able to fix up your keys.

for bad signatures in security updates,you can import the security team keys with:

# gpg --recv-keys --keyserver pgp.mit.edu 0x22458A98

I haven't had any problems with the updates themselves, but even with the keys installed, I get bad signatures with the email advisories. :huh:

Thanks adamw

I tried to run updates again today, but am faced with continuous up/downtime with my connection (and phone line) - must be cos of the bad weather at the moment. I'm making the most of this window and will feedback later.

Thanks also Lakota, again this is something I obviously need to look into.

But both your replies confirmed my initial concerns about installing packages with bad sigs from MCC/urpmi.

I'll post back if I have any issues.

Cheers.

Just to update to let you guys know I haven't given up on the advise - seems there is a problem with the phone exchange - gonna be at least another couple of days b4 its fixed :angry: so no internet, other than for a few brief seconds :angry: I'm using a winblows box at the uni library at the mo, so nothing I can do at all for now :cheesy: .

Cheers.

Just to update to let you guys know I haven't given up on the advise - seems there is a problem with the phone exchange - gonna be at least another couple of days b4 its fixed  :angry:  so no internet, other than for a few brief seconds  :angry:   I'm using a winblows box at the uni library at the mo, so nothing I can do at all for now  :cheesy: .

Cheers.

OK. well, seems that we now have the telephone exchange repaired and that there is a constant connection. That's the good news.

Now, for the bad. Very Bad.

I went into MCC to go through the update process once agin, in order that I could either resolve the query or feedback into this thread.

I updated Media (contrib, main, plf, updates etc) and attempted a security update. Again, there were jsut three packages with the bad signatures. It asked if I wanted to install - I said no. I tried to take a screenie in order that I have the exact text in the warning box. For some reason this did not work and nothing would shut down. I did a Logout/restart - thinking that other than MCC then the progrrames I had opened would simply re start, and I'd have to return to MCC in the new session.

Well, it restarted a new session - it bizzarly popped up with the Mandrake welcome screen, worse and to my horror, my shortcuts in the task bar had ALL gone, as had shortcuts on my desktop, as has all my work in /home

and worse still - no recent (long time) backups either :oops: Any idea WTF happened here, and is there any chance of any kind of recovery?

I'm always telling my girlfriend to backup - I got lazy, and now I'm paying. Supposed to be backing her sys up tonite too :help:

Mandrake 10.1

Also got Knoppix 3.3 - but don't know how to use it as a disaster recovery disk.

Any help very much appreciated. I feel a real idiot.

In anticipation...

Edited by ChrisM

I've also noted that in konsole instead of getting:

[chris@localhost]$

I now have

bash-2.05b$

something somewhere went very wrong.

just the same on my box after running some updates. but i don't care about it as long as everything runs okay. i think the next update will fix it again.

Heya Arctic,

in some ways this is a little reassuring - makes me feel that I didn't accidentally screw anything up. My problem is though - I also lost a load of work. :unsure: :oops:

I've also just noted something else - on the task bar where I added a few shorcut icons (firefox/Thunderbird/konqueror/Star Office etc) I lost most - not all - I now have the big blue wheel - if I click on it, I get an error box which says

Error KDE Panel

The desktop entry file /home/chris/.kde/share/apps/kicker/staroffice7-4.desktop has no Type=... entry.

Now my entire Star Office has disappeared from the shortcut and menu...so to have this little breadcrumb is intriguing.

Is it worth trying a bugfix update...at the moment I dare not too many things as I would really like to recover the lost material at some stage if its possible.

edit: Looked at MCC - no bugfixes available anyway.

dunno... depends on how fast anyone can fix these problems and maybe on how loud you cry.

Uummm... what's the best way to raise this? I do recall with MDK 9.2 when doing an update I lost all my desktop icons - this as it turns out was a recognised bug within 9.2 - at the time I wasn't aware and I notified a few times, mandrakeexpert (I was also withinn my support period as I'd bought 9.2 powerpack) Nobody ever got back - one of the reasons why I'm hesitant to buy into club etc.

So, if my 10.1 isn't a bought version, where's the best place to raise it? - its a bit drastic when doing an update I not only lose some work I'd saved on my HDD - yes I should have backed it up - but I also lost some apps > an entire StarOffice 7/Firefox/Thunderbird.

:cry::cry::cry: