Multiple issues - emachines

Guest kbhat

I'm a newbie to Linux. Wanted to get away from the updates and hack attack of Micro$oft.

I bought the Mandrake 10.1 CD set of 4 disks.

The computer I am trying to install is an emachine T1840.

I have 2 Hard drives. Winxp on the first 40G HD. The machine has a Cd Dive and a DVD drive.

After a few attempts i realized that installation works only if the install CD is in the DVD drive!

The install screen was text based, unlike the GUI shown in Mandrake website. Wondered why? Continued on to install on hdb after a few keystrokes on partitioning. With the text interface, My mouse is a wireless logitech 3 button with wheel that was not recognized. Hence the text based install was slower with all the 'tab' keystrokes to move from field to field.

Did not recognize my lexmark x125 connected to the USB

Did not recognize my realtek ethernet card rtc 8139

Does not recognize the Sound card

So, when install is finished, I have a nice desktop without a movable cursor, unable to play any music and can't connect to the internet! Besides these minor issues, it was a Success!

Being able to use the keyboard, i was able to get to 'configure your computer' --> Sound --> [i can't remember the exact keystrokes, as I did this @ home last night]. Soud Driver info msg:

Error while initializing the sound driver

device/dev/dsp can't be opened (no such file or directory exists)

The sound server will continue, using nul output device

-----------------------

When i got to Manage connections:

Vendor: Realtek

Description: RTC-8139

Media_class: NETWORK_ETHERNET

Module Name: 8139too

Mac Address: 00.40.2b.3a.b0.73

Location on the bus: 2

When I shout down the computer, the whole thing froze half way through the process....

Booting back into Windows, everything seems to work fine (sound, printer and network card). I use roadrunner in NC for net access.

I have no idea where to go next. Any help appreciated

:thanks:

Keshav

Greets!

Some pointers: plug and play needs to be turned off in the bios. While you're at it, turn of the power management stuff. You can configure it later. Did you boot with the first cd? (rather than the second) What errors did it report brfore entering text mode?

I would do a reinstall since it is a new installation. I suspect some other errors but can't narrow it down without more info!