DVD-RAM?

3lade

Does anyone know about the support or compatability of DVD-RAMS in MDK9?

I ask as there is a 'spare' Pansonic DVD-RAM drive sitting on a shelf I know. It is a SCSI interface so a card will be required on my system.

Under windows they work OK, they run as both a DVD drive and a removeable media but uncertain how Linux would see it and whether you could burn stuff to it.

See this press release: http://www.microlite.com/News_and_Events/P...2_02_linux.html

Here: http://www.jaist.ac.jp/~sight95/linux/dvd-...am-english.html and this:

Quote: How to use DVD RAM drives on Linux hosts

Create file system

If you have a blank DVD RAM, you first need to format it. Check the sticker put on the DVD Ram front panel in order to find out the device name (/dev/sr0 or /dev/sr1):

Execute the following command:

/sbin/mke2fs <device name> Example: /sbin/mke2fs /dev/sr0

Mount the device. In order to access the device you need to mount it by executing the following command: mount /dvd

Copying data from/to the DVD RAM:

Once the drive is mounted you may use it like any other file system. For example, to copy the entire ls1792 directory on your DVD RAM, execute: cp –R /data/id14eh4/external/ls1792 /dvd

Release the drive:

Quit the /dvd directory and execute the following command: umount /dvd

Note

For the moment the onliest available file system is ‘ext2’, the standard Linux file system. This means that you are only able to read your data back on another Linux system.

Make sure that you have enough space available on your DVD RAM before making your backup.

The DVD RAM drive can also act as CDROM reader. Just put the CD into the DVD RAM drive and execute the command: mount /cdrom

End quote

This site discusses patches: http://www.bitwizard.nl/dvd/ .specifically SCSI.

Try Google Advanced Search with Exact Phrase DVD-RAM and Containing the word Linux set for 100 responses per page for more.

Counterspy

I have installed my SCSI card: Adaptec 2940cu and the DVD-RAM drive; Panasonic LF-D201.

MDK9 has picked up on the SCSI card no problem but as far as I can see does not know the drive is there. I have run run the hardware detection 'thing' in MCC but no luck. I tried looking through the sites quoted above but so far they just gave me a headache :wink:

If anyone has got one to work can you explain how, until then a quick beer and ciggie and I will try to understand this more. :P