share permissions & x0rfbserver question [solved]

Guest keemo

Hi all...I have two questions

I've been trying to setup a network between my new Mandrake 10.1 machine and my WinXP laptop.

I've managed to get them both on the same network and I can use vnc between both, and I can access my windows shares from my linux box. The problem is that I can't access my linux shares from my laptop. The error message that I get is attached to this post. post-9118-1104718998_thumb.jpg

I went to smb4k and made sure that I unticked the 'default login' options is unchecked, but still nothing.

I'm relatively new to linux, so I'm not sure where else to look. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

I also installed x0rfbserver for remote desktop sharing, but I'd like that service to run on startup...once again, just not sure how to go about doing that.

Thanks in advance for you help.

cheers mate..I'll try that when I get home.

But just to explain what I did a little further...The problem occurs when I try to access folders within my home directory on MDK. I wouldnt even get a login prompt before I get the error.

I also tried to share some other partitions from my second hard disk, but I couldn't share them through the GUI, so I had to manually edit the smb.conf file, and that worked for those shares, but not for the home shares.

that plugin looks promising, so I'll give it a shot.

I tried installing the plugin, bu i got an error when I ran ./configure

checking for X... configure: error: Can't find X includes. Please check your installation and add the correct paths!

just not sure what that means exactly..

any suggestions?