admtek driver install help

Guest asforme

Guest asforme

Hi, I just installed Mandrake 10.1 for the first time a week ago and just yesterday reformated and re-installed it after messing it up with much experimentation. Now I want to get my wireless card to work and have been trying to follow other posts on this forum, but it's not working.

My card is a Blitzz bwi605 (cheap 802.11b from wal-mart).

I updated my kernell to 2.6.8.1-12mdk and installed the source code.

I found from this website http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz that my card should work in linux and has a chipset by ADMTek.

I proceded to follow the instructions both on this thread http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=5494 (mostly the HOW TO part by LiquidZoo) and in the readme of the driver I downloaded from here http://atmelwlandriver.sourceforge.net/news.html

I skipped all the steps that talked about PCMCI, because my card is a PCI card. According to all the messages in the command prompt there were no errors, and in KDE under hardware in "configure your computer" (I think it's called harddrake) it shows up as having an "ADM8201 Wireless Adapter" under "Ethernetcard", but when I click "Run config tool" and select "wireless connection" the only choice under "Net Device" is "Manually load a driver".

Am I doing something wrong? Shouldn't ADM8201 show up as a choice on that screen. Any help would be much appreciated.

update - I just found something on another post about the lspci -v command to find the chipset and it spit out this:

02:00.0 Network controller: Linksys ADMtek ADM8211 802.11b Wireless Interface (rev 11)

Subsystem Abocom Systems Inc; Unknown device ab60

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 5

I/O ports at d000

Memory at f6042000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]

Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2

I really don't know what all this means, but I thought it might be useful, also I now have a sneaking suspision that I'm trying to use the wrong driver because it shows up in Hardware Managment as ADMtek8201, but the lspci -v command spit out ADMtek8211. I'm going to research this more, but would still definately appreciate advice from some of you linux gurus.

Edited by asforme

When you run the config tool and get to the point where it says manually load driver, click to go to the next screen which will bring up a list of wireless driver modules. Try selecting the amd8111e driver module. That would seem to be the right one from what your lspci is printing out.

Guest asforme

When I try that it asks me if I want to autoprobe or specify options. When I autoprobe it takes me back to where it says manually load a driver. I would have tried that before but it said amd and mine is adm, plus it sais 10/100 and my card is wireless. The company that makes the card provides redhat 7.3 and redhat 8 drivers, but I tried installing them a while ago and couldn't get them to work. But being a newbie at this maby I just don't get it, but I thought a linux driver was a linux driver, whats the difference in the drivers between rh 7.3, rh 8 and mandrake? Man this is complicated, but at the same time I'm having fun with it.

Let's go back to basics. I'm not sure you have the right driver for your card, but let's assume it is. Even if you properly installed the driver, it will not be listed in the mcc config center; only the drivers that shipped with mdk will be there. That means you will have to manually configure this thing. The first thing to check is whether the driver module is loaded. To see what modules are loaded, open a console and run:

$ su

<enter root password>

# lsmod

that will print out all loaded modules. Look in your driver documentation for the name of the module and see if it is loaded. If not, you can manually load it with this command:

# modprobe <module name>

Post back your results with the above and I'll try to take you through the steps to set this up.

Guest asforme

It was not loaded, and when I tried I got a module not found error. I decided to try something new and installed an older kernel. Instead of 2.6.8.1-12mdk I booted up to 2.4.27-0.pre2.1mdk. I was able to install a driver made for the 2.4 kernel just fine, and now the add network utility finds it as eth0. The link and activity leds are on on my card, but I cannot connect. I have an access point with essid broadcast turned off and a 128-bit wep key. In the "manage connection" utility I have the Operating Mode set to Auto, I'm not sure if it should be auto or not, but when it diddn't work in manual I tried auto. I have my ESSID both in the Network name spot and in the Network ID. I'm not sure what the Network ID is but I tried it when it wouldn't connect with it blank. The Operating frequency, Sensitivity threshold, Bitrate, RTS/CTS, Fragmentation, Iwconfig command extra arguments, Iwspy command extra arguments, Iwpriv command extra argumetns are all blank, I have no idea what those are. And I have my wep key in the Encription Key spot. I should be getting my IP via DHCP, but I can't connect. Any Ideas? Thanks alot for your help.

Post your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file. That's what configures your eth0 interface. All the utilities your running through just write to that file. I find it makes more sense if you just directly edit the file.

There are two things you have to do - get the driver loaded which creates the eth0 network interface and then configure the interface by creating/editing ifcfg-eth0. It sounds like your half way home since you have the driver loaded. I just want to confirm that's the case. As root run:

# iwfconfig

If the wireless card driver is loaded the above command should list that interface, eth0, with it's wireless capabilities. If not, you will get a printout of all detected network interfaces with a "no wireless extensions found" message after each one. Make sure your driver is loaded before running iwconfig. If the above test is OK, next run:

#iwlist eth0 scan

this will printout all the wireless access points detected by your card with their characteristics. It should pick up your home wireless router and may pick up some of your neighbors as well. If it does, this will tell you that your card is fuctioning properly with your driver. Note, you have to run the iwconfig command before the iwlist command or iwlist won't work.

If everything checks out OK, we can get on to configuring ifcfg-eth0.

Guest asforme

# cat ifcfg-eth0

DEVICE=eth0

BOOTPROTO=dhcp

ONBOOT=yes

METRIC=10

MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no

WIRELESS_MODE=Auto

WIRELESS_ESSID=ArmstrongNet

WIRELESS_NWID=ArmstrongNet

WIRELESS_ENC_KEY=[my wep key 26 hex]

NEEDHOSTNAME=yes

# iwconfig

lo no wireless extensions.

eth1 no wireless extensions.

eth0 IEEE 802.11-DS ESSID:"" Nickname:"192.168.1.254"

Mode:Managed Channel:0 Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00

Bit Rate=0kb/s Tx-Power=47 dBm Sensitivity:0/65535

Retry limit:3 RTS thr=2346 B Fragment thr=2346 B

Encryption key:CA02-4681-3579-0123-4567-890B-CA Security mode:open

Power Management:off

Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0

Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0

Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

# iwlist eth0 scan

eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning : Operation not supported

The link light is on on my card and the act light is flashing steadily, not really sure if it means anything, but I thought it might be useful.

Try editing the ifcfg file like so:

DEVICE=eth0

BOOTPROTO=dhcp

ONBOOT=yes

METRIC=10

MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=yes

WIRELESS_MODE=Managed

WIRELESS_ESSID=ArmstrongNet

WIRELESS_RTS=auto

WIRELESS_ENC_KEY=[my wep key 26 hex]

NEEDHOSTNAME=yes

Then shut down the network and bring it back up and check to see if it's working with:

# ifdown eth0

# ifup eth0

# ifconfig.

I've found that dhcp can cause problems with my wireless card so I use a static IP instead. If the above doesn't work we can give that a try. Here's my config file for comparison:

DEVICE=wlan0

BOOTPROTO=static

IPADDR=192.168.1.101

NETMASK=255.255.255.0

NETWORK=192.168.1.0

GATEWAY=192.168.1.1

ONBOOT=no

HWADDR=<MAC of nic>

METRIC=10

MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=yes

WIRELESS_MODE=Managed

WIRELESS_ESSID=<my network name>

WIRELESS_ENC_KEY=<my wep key>

WIRELESS_RTS=auto

NEEDHOSTNAME=yes

I have my home wireless network configured to only accept connections from a list of nic MACs for added security. If you don't have this featurure enabled, you don't have to worry about the HWADDR line. If you do, you should include this line with the MAC of your wireless card.

Guest asforme

I tried your first suggestion and got back these results:

# ifup eth0

Determining IP information for eth0... done.

/sbin/ifup: line 466: 2689 Hnagup /etc/init.d/tmdns reload >/dev/null 2>&1

# ifconfig

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr <mac address>

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets 51378 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:11802 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:1611788 (1.5 MB) TX bytes:751438 (733.8 Kb)

Interrupt:5 Base address:0xd000

eth0:9 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr <mac address>

inet addr:127.255.255.255 Bcast:127.255.255.255 Mask:255.0.0.0

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets 51378 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:11802 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:1611788 (1.5 MB) TX bytes:751438 (733.8 Kb)

Interrupt:5 Base address:0xd000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1 Masc:255.0.0.0

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

RX packets:826 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:826 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

Collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:58282 (56.9 Kb) TX bytes:58282 (56.9 Kb)

How can I verify the mac address of my wireless card and make sure it matches the one given in ifconfig as eth0. Because in the gui eth0 is showing up as Davicom Ethernet, which is my integrated ethernet, it is not currently plugged into anything. I would also need to find out what it is so I can add it to my router list to try static ip.

Something is wrong. That line 466 error indicates that it's having trouble getting your gateway from how I read the ifup script.

I assume your dual booting with windows and your wireless card is working in windows. Boot into windows, open a dos console and run:

ipconfig /all

That will print out all the info you need to set up a static config file in linux. It will also give the MAC of your wireless card. Try editing your ifcfg file for a static ip like I have in my example.

If your not sure what to do, post your ipconfig info from windows.

Guest asforme

I've been gone for a while, but now I'm back and ready to tackle this.

This is the responce I get from XP running ipconfig/all

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Clint>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : clintwindows

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Domain

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : DAVICOM 1/10/100 PCI Fast Ethernet A

dapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : <hardline mac address>

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Domain

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 802.11b Wireless PCI Card

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : <wireless mac address>

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 13, 2005 4:19:38 P

M

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, January 14, 2005 4:19:38 AM

I'm going to reboot back into linux, and get my laptop online so I can see if the mac addresses match up. Thanks again for your time and help.

Ok the mac addresses match up, I'm going to see if I can set it up with static IP. You may not know because it may depend on my router, but usually are there any settings I need to change on my router to use static IP

Edited by asforme

Guest asforme

Alright, almost there, it is now connected but I cannot connect to the internet.

When I click the connected icon by the clock it tells me there are KB sent and recieved so it is connected, but when I click connect ethernet, it will not connect to the internet.

My ifcfg file now looks like this

DEVICE=eth0

BOOTPROTO=static

IPADDR=192.168.1.3

NETMASK=255.255.255.0

GATEWAY=192.168.1.1

ONBOOT=no

HWADDR=<MAC of nic>

METRIC=10

MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=yes

WIRELESS_MODE=Managed

WIRELESS_ESSID=<my network name>

WIRELESS_ENC_KEY=<my wep key>

WIRELESS_RTS=auto

NEEDHOSTNAME=yes

I left out the NETWORK part because I was unsure of what to put there. What you had was the IP address of my desktop computer upstairs that is connected to the router with cat5 cable. Do I really need the NETWORK= part? Could that be why I cant connect to the internet?

Try adding:

NETWORK=192.168.1.0

and change your gateway entry to:

GATEWAY=192.168.1.254

Then open a console and run as root:

# ifup eth0

which will bring up the network or give an error message. If it comes up run:

# ifconfig eth0

That will give you some output about what's going on with your network. If all looks good, try pinging your gateway:

$ ping -c3 192.168.1.254

If it pings your connected. You'll propably have to manually set up your DNS after that. Post back your results.

• 1 month later...
Guest jhess169

I have had Mandrake 10.1 installed on an old PII machine for a couple months now. I have gotten everything to work except the Blitzz 802.11b wireless card. I have searched the internet and downloaded the ADM8211 driver files. When I do a 'make install' I get the following error

[root@delhi adm8211]# make install

make -C /lib/modules/2.6.8.1-12mdk/build M=/home/jeff/adm8211 modules

make[1]: Entering directory `/lib/modules/2.6.8.1-12mdk/build'

make[1]: Nothing to be done for `modules'.

make[1]: Leaving directory `/lib/modules/2.6.8.1-12mdk/build'

cp -f adm8211.ko /lib/modules/2.6.8.1-12mdk/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/

cp: cannot stat `adm8211.ko': No such file or directory

make: *** [install] Error 1

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?