Edits to inittab get undone

Guest azure_blue

Guest azure_blue

I've just installed 10.1 official on a machine here, with the security set one notch up from default (in the interests of learning the proper way of doing things). One thing I like to change is to set ctrl-alt-del to do a halt rather than a reboot (I'm much more likely to want to halt it), so I changed the appropriate line in /etc/inittab, but after a halt/boot cycle, the previous value is restored. I realise that this is to do with the config change detection that the higher security level enforces, but how do I apply a change that I really do want?

[OT]

But I want high to encourage me to learn the proper and correct way of doing things.

Then set the level to normal and learn how to highly secure your computer, that's the proper and correct way of doing things and that's the effective way to learn. Normal security level is enough high to protect your system. And unless you have real reasons and enough knowledge to deal with a *high security level* setup go back to normal and learn w/o having to deal with unpleasan't situations everytime.

*high security level* is just a set of settings *with the purpose of saving time* for those who need those settings, you can achieve the same level of security by configuring each involved thing by hand. That will be the real way to learn.

One starting point could be /usr/share/msec/msec.py

HTH

[/OT]