Paranoid and Mandrake [solved]

Guest trekkie1701c

Guest trekkie1701c

I tend to be a little paranoid about security... so I set my Mandrake 9 security to Paranoid, because I didn't want to have a computer without much security. Now I cannot get into the gui for more then a few seconds, and my user name doesn't have root priveleges. I can log in as root in command line mode, but not in the gui. I didn't think this was too much of a problem, since I had a win 3.1 machine, but, since I liked Mandrake, I pulled out an Open Linux CD to see if it would work on the computer, however it formatted the HD and installed Linux with out asking me, and now crashes on boot. :wall:

So now I'm back to the Mandrake computer. I've put the OpenLinux HD in as a secondary HD, and I want to format it for use in Mandrake as a second HD. I'd also like to access the GUI, and set a moderate security level, instead of paranoid. I'd also like any help in learning command line, because it seems interesting.(I've never seen been able to use a dos-like interface before without going through windows, and WinXP takes DOS away.

Thanks for any help in advance - if I get this done, I won't have any Microsoft apps that I have to use any more.