kaffeine in firefox [solved]

bobterri

In Konqueror when I play movie previews on www.quicktime.com kaffeine is used. I want to play them on firefox and mozilla, but I can't find the source of the plugin in the Konqueror/settings/Configure Konqueror/plugins. All it has is Netscape plugins, but no path to where they are found.

I'd like to copy the Kaffeine plugins to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins so I can use Kaffeine to watch these movie trailers in mozilla and firefox.

Come on!

I know there is a really easy answer for this.

If I were using mplayer, I would have to have mplayerplug-in in my /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory, right? So, what is Konqueror using to play Kaffeine? And where do I look for this so I can use it with mozilla and firefox?

Kaffeine is not a really player plugin, it's a replacement for (alternative to) Java. It's alright, but not the best, and may not work with Mozilla/Firefox at all, I never tried. You need to install genuine Java, enable Mozilla/Firefox to use it and go from there. If you need help with that there's plenty in the forum archives about it, or check the Sun and Firefox websites for downloads and instructions.

eh? What? kaffeine is a media player, it has nothing to do with Java. I think you're thinking of kaffee (or however you spell it).

For the original poster: Konqueror doesn't use a plugin model like Mozilla to invoke Kaffeine to play media files, you can't just 'copy the plugin' across as the browsers have fundamentally different designs. There is a Kaffeine Mozilla plugin; see the homepage - it's a separate download, kaffeine-mozilla. I don't know if there's a Mandrake package, however. Look for it in rpmdrake. If not, maybe try building the source.

bobterri: please read my answer above. Konqueror and Kaffeine are both KDE applications so they use KDE mechanisms to communicate, they do not use some kind of 'plugin' which could be transferred to a Mozilla browser. Kaffeine is a xine front-end, yes, but such a plugin would be (and is, as I mentioned there is one available at the Kaffeine website) specific to Kaffeine and not to Xine.