problem with new firefox build

daniewicz

I downloaded a 3rd party firefox build today from Mozillazine. When I try to run it I get the following error:

`GLIBC_2.3.4' not found (required by /home/steve/Programs/firefoxnew/firefox-bin)

Looking at my Mandrake 10 installation, I see the following files I could install:

glibc_lsb-2.3.1-1mdk

glibc-profile-2.3.3-10mdk

glibc-static-devel-2.3.3-10mdk

Now I am a noob, but I am guessing that the installation of these files will not rectify my problem as they are the wrong version. Should I search for 2.3.4 stuff? Will it create problems with my KDE 3.2 and Mandrake 10?

You should use a Firefox that has been built for your system. Do not go ripping out important intestines like glibc, it will only lead to pain. If you absolutely need this kind of build (you're trying to run nightlies, or something) and there isn't a version which will work with your version of Mandrake, it'd be a lot easier to upgrade to 10.1 than to try and build a new glibc from source and get it into the system...

Thanks adamw. Your response reinforces information I was able to get from some googling. I will leave my glibc alone. I am trying to run some firefox builds which are optimized for my AthlonXP processor.

AI: I went to the site you linked, and looked through their list of rpms. I didn't see firefox listed. I am already running an official build of firefox 1.0. I am interested in running some firefox builds which are optimized for my AthlonXP processor.

right here : http://norlug.org/?op=rpms&rpm_func=rpm_in...norlug.i586.rpm

If you want to setup urmpi for this site go here: http://norlug.org/?op=rpms#urpmi

They got some of the newest stuff so I recommend it :)

Ahhh, I was looking for firefox instead of mozilla-firefox

Still, I already have up-to-date version of firefox running. I am looking to install a build which has been compiled with specific options making it optimal for my processor. Mozillazine has several individuals doing these 3rd party builds.