Firewire: how can I keep from automounting?

Guest alang

I have a machine that I'm using to do some backup stuff. It has internal drives and one external firewire drive (at a time) that it backs up to once a week. We swap that one out every week and use it as an off-site backup.

I don't want it (or any other firewire drive) to automount when I plug it in, but I do want it to be detected as sda.. I want my backup script to mount it, copy to it, and then unmount it, so that it can be safely unplugged any time except when it is actually writing. And yes, I know, journalled file systems, blah, blah, perfectly safe, blah, I don't want to unplug things without unmounting them beforehand, and it is likely that this drive will be unplugged before it is backed up to at least occasionally.

What do I have to do to make this happen? I know how to mount and unmount the drive; I just need to know how to prevent the initial automount.

--Adam

I have a machine that I'm using to do some backup stuff.  It has internal drives and one external firewire drive (at a time) that it backs up to once a week.  We swap that one out every week and use it as an off-site backup.

I don't want it (or any other firewire drive) to automount when I plug it in, but I do want it to be detected as sda..  I want my backup script to mount it, copy to it, and then unmount it, so that it can be safely unplugged any time except when it is actually writing.  And yes, I know, journalled file systems, blah, blah, perfectly safe, blah, I don't want to unplug things without unmounting them beforehand, and it is likely that this drive will be unplugged before it is backed up to at least occasionally.

What do I have to do to make this happen?  I know how to mount and unmount the drive; I just need to know how to prevent the initial automount.

--Adam

I have an addition to this question :help: . What lines go in the modprobe.conf file in order to get the modules to load a boot time ? I had to add this card manually, and I want it to be detected automatically when I boot up ? Please and thanks.