Really dumb question about upgrading

I'm still a little clueless about some things, so don't think I'm too stupid. ;-) I'm considering upgrading to Mandrake 9.0 from 8.1. The problem is it's always hit and miss when I compile a kernel. There's always things I forget to include or include too much when I configure. Why is this a problem, you ask? Well, MDK 2.4.x kernels don't boot on my machine because of my Kalil MoBo, so in 8.1 I had to install with the optional 2.2.* kernel and then grab one from kernel.org and compile it. The question is, can I save my System.map and bzImage and /lib/modules/2.4.20 directory somewhere safe and then just move them over after I install and then add that image to lilo and boot from that (maybe in rescue mode since the default kernel won't work).

I'm just getting the hankering for KDE3 and all the other stuff that goes with it, like a gkrellm 2.*. Or is there an easy way to install KDE3? Keep in mind that I'm on dialup, so downloading huge files is a pain in the butt.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Oh, so this is what you call yourself now...

I came over to the 'new' forum today.

I responded to this post on the old site so take a look if you will...

tobyl