Backing up to an NT Server

lrsach01

I'm the lone Linux user in my lab grooup. Everyone else is running Win2000 and our tech guy is a servant of Microsoft. He is installing what is essentially a "backup server" for us. It will back up selected directories from each computer at specific times. My question, is how do I get in on the action. I won't be accessing the data. Its a backup only operation without any file sharing (at least not at first). Is there some way I can back up my data to the server. I'm running Mandrake 9 and the server will be Win2000. Please no comments on moving the server to linux. I've tried to convince the powers that BE. I've begged, informed, pleaded, theatened...the whole nine yards.

There are a few ways, really. We need to know exactly how and what the server will be trying to accomplish. I don't understand how it will fetch data off a machine that is not sharing anything? Surely sharing, in some form, will be required?

Firstly: Will the server be fetching the files from your computer on a schedule or will your computer be sending the files to the server?

If the server must fetch the files from you, then you could setup Samba and share the required data on your 'nix box. Windoze 2000 should not have any problems fetching from a Samba share, if you set it up properly (try using Webmin). To the server, your share will look just like a windows share.

If you are required to send the files, then simply mount the server's backup partition and set it to auto mount so you don't ever lose the mount. Then schedule your backups.

I'm sorry if this doesn't help, but I'm not sure exactly what the server will be running, what exactly it will be doing, etc.

SoulSe,

Thanks for the reply. I wish I had the answers for you. I guess I jumped the gun a bit since I won't have the information you need for a while. I guess what ai could use at this point is a pointer to where to find some basic information about what I'll need when our system is set up.

No problem.

I'm sure that whatever it is the server is doing, if it is running Windows then you will probably need Samba. It is very straight forward to setup. http://www.samba.org/

Anything you share with samba will just look like another windows share to a M$ box.

Everything you will need comes with MDK 9. I recommend using Webmin to configure Samba. Webmin is on your mdk 9 cds and you get into the interface by surfing to https://localhost:10000/ - some people use another port for Webmin as there are some security issues.

Not a problem.

I'm surprised your SA is so bent on Microsoft. Any computer course you do these days (barring those offered by Microsoft) will teach you that there is no beating Linux for servers. You should tell him to come and speak to us.

I remember when I was learning. Tried to set up a Windows 2000 Server... 2 weeks, 4 cases of beer and 3 cartons of cigarettes later I was still having WINS issues and DNS... I don't want to talk about it (still scarred).

Switched to Linux and -I'm not joking- 10 minutes after installing my server was up and running with considerably less security issues.