Very newb question... [solved]

Guest fo0hzy

I have been using Windows for going on ten years, and would love to learn linux.

I have a Dell Dimension 8300 with no floppy drive installed. I have downloaded & run the Mandrake Move live CD, and everything worked perfectly (the first out of 4 linux live distros to do so... sound was the major issue with the other three), so I am eager to partition my HD and install Mandrake.

However, in all my reading online about partitioning, it is highly recommended or required that you create a boot floppy. Is there a way to create a boot CD?

Don't worry about creating a boot floppy it isnt required

Thanks for the quick (and surprising) reply -

2nd question - what would be the best (free) partitioning software for a newcomer like me to utilize? I'd rather not shell out the bucks for PM 8.0...

The Mandrake installer. It can do all the partitioning you need to do, including resizing NTFS partitions. Just select custom partitioning when you run the Mandrake install.

Is this possible without data loss? I will backup my files anyway, just in case, but I know some partitioning tools are capable of simply claiming free space at the end of the primary partition (after defraging)... which would be a big time saver, not having to re-install windows...

Thanks

Just defrag your WIndows first. Left to itself, Mandrake will simply grab free space at the end of the existing partition. If you select custom partitioning, you will get a bit more control over what partitions you use, and their sizes.

I have never had a problem with Mandrake screwing up my Windows partition, but backup never hurts. ;) (Better safe than sorry. :) )

Success! I'm amazed... either I was very lucky or I just happened to have the right set-up! Everything works! Well, so far, anyway... I have internet, sound & video, so that's a good start :mr-green:

Thanks for your help... now I'm off to learn how to install the programs I want (like Firefox & Skype)...