Ubuntu - I'm connected, but I'm not - RESOLVED-

I've been using Ubuntu for a couple of months now, and have had no problems. No seriously - No problems, that is....... untill Wednesday. I came home from work and had no internet connection. So I called ISP and they said, "It's probably because we're upgrading your area. It'll be done in about 16 hours." So I waited untill last night, and still had no connection. I checked my network setup, and everything looked good. DHCP connection was picking up the correct IP (I verified this with my ISP's tech. sup. guy.) Tech renewed IP, and I took eth0 up and down several times with no luck. My computer says I'm connected. gkrellm module shows eth0 activity (both up and down), but every time I try to use any app that requires a connection (web browser, email, online games, IM) I get a no connection available error. Any body have any Idea what's going on?

It seems almost like I have a monster firewall in place, but my understanding is that Ubuntu does not come with a firewall, and I haven't downloaded one. Am I wrong about this? Please help. I'm supposed to be switching over to a static IP today, but I don't want to screw with it if this problem is still going on.

Oh yeah. One other thing. I booted to live cd (GNOPPIX) and had same problem. I noticed that while it detected and setup my network options correctly, it said something to the effect of " while your network has been set up correctly, your computer does not know how to communicate with other computers" Something about the Host name, I think. This may not mean anything. I have my computer host name as kevins.linux.box.com, and this has never been a problem before.

Anyway, please help if you can

Edited by kmc77

blame your isp. they borked it. as it does not work on ubuntu or knoppix or any other distro although everything was running fine means that all connections you send get blocked by the isp. it is their problem and their costs! as you already said: everything worked fine before... ;)

my 2 cents