FlightGear

AussieJohn

This is a request to everyone who may be a user of FlightGear (A fully GPLed Flight Simulator) or who knows of anyone who is a user.

A very helpful gentleman by name Mr Karlsen has rpm packaged it for Mandrake and it is available via easy-urpmi --> contributors and it is the latest edition as well.

A special tribute goes to him because he did this as a service to Mandrake users despite the fact that he does not play it or knows anything in particular about it. What a bl**dy champion.

I'm sure it only happens in the Linux realm.

Their forum (FlightGear) seems to be almost totally Windows centric as it is ported to windows as well and apparently has a big following there. The scarce Linux posts also seem to be extremely curt and brief, and lacking friendliness.

I am having a few setting up problems in trying to use my new joystick (no loud guffaws please, there are children present............uuhhh, there aren't !!!! OK)

I am ex Royal Australian Air Force and since all those years ago I have been a frustrated closet wannabe pilot, and flight simulator is as close as I will ever get. Not helped by the fact that I have been an air passenger in just about every turbo prop and jetliner plus DC2, DC3, DC4, DC6, DC6B, Super Constellation and many others but excluding the Comet and the now halted SST. This goes right back to approx 1960.

I hate Microsoft in principle and so wouldn't touch its FlightSim. But now I have discovered FlightGear I have at last decided to give it a go and let my imagining have a bit of free rein for a change.

So could you all please put out your collective feelers for possible helpers ???

Thanks in advance. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

I installed FlightGear on my Mandy 9.1 and it runs.

The problem I had was that the controls, in particular

the throttle, would not work. No matter what I did, it

alway went back to idle. The throttle wheel on the joystick

had very little effect, and the keyboard throttle controls

did nothing.

The documentation on the program is minimal, and I

could not figure out how to make it work, so I gave

up.

I am former USAF from the early '70's. Flew C-130.

I can't fly those !@#$% simulators worth a darn anyway.

:lol2:

Banjo

(_)=='=~

hehehe... i never thought that flying a simple learjet or spitfire in a flight simulator is actually harder than flying a c-130 transall in real life. :D

*running to the airport....*

Thanks Arctic.

Thank you too Banjo. It seems I am not alone with this one but I will keep pushing on in the hope that I can get it to work under Mandrake10.1-OE. I would hate the thought of having to download the program into my Windows2000 Pro and it will be a last resort.

I hope other MUBers can track down other users for me so I can glean a little info from here, there and everywhere. So even tiny tid-bits of comment will be assisting me here.

Cheers for now. John

When you are flying a real airplane there is lots of

feedback on the controls and on your body. When

flying a flight simulator, all of that is gone except

for the visual. It is actually quite disorienting.

A 3D vision system on the flight simulator would

help a lot.

Banjo

(_)=='=~