10.1 post-installation problems

Guest mjcoates

Guest mjcoates

Thanks to help from this users group, I was finally able to install 10.1 on my Dell Latitude D505 laptop. However there were a number of hassles with it and I've ended up removing it and re-installing 10.0. Here are some of the problems, in no particular order:

1. There's an audible tapping every second or so as the hard disk heads are trying to do something continuously, even when the laptop is idle. Apart from being annoying, it is disconcerting in regards to the wear and tear on the drive. Mdk 10.0 is far less demanding on the drive.

2. On boot the system hangs for over a minute around when it tries to check new hardware. No such problem with 10.0.

3. Audio CDs will not play at all. They do with 10.0.

4. USB memory stick will not auto-mount. I had to su to root to manually mount it. It does auto-mount and auto-dismount with 10.0.

5. The swappable floopy drive is not recognised. Again I had to su to root to manually mount it, as /dev/sda. However this isn't really of high priority.

6. I could not configure the network to get teh machine recognised. No such problems with 10.0 here.

7. Closing the laptop lid switches off the screen but it refuses to switch back on again! I haven't tried this with 10.0 yet.

8. System hangs when trying to shutdown using the "turn off computer' in KDE's end session panel. I had to su to root and run shutdown. No problems with 10.0.

I'm curious if other users have had similar problems. I'll stick with 10.0 myself for a while!

1: I don't know

2: shut down the service in mcc>system>services

3:change the audio ouput (I'mguessing you are using xmms?. Install the xmms-arts plugin and use that for audio out)

4/5 guessing something to do with your fstab

6:wireless network? Read the tips in the tips&tricks forum

7:could be the scrensavers. uncheck the suspend option

8:don't know

8. how about adding your user to the "halt" group?

4/5. does this occur only in kde or also in gnome? my experience is that it worked instantly in gnome but not in kde. you can nonetheless create static fstab entries that allow you to mount the devices with one mouseclick.

• 2 weeks later...

4/5. does this occur only in kde or also in gnome? my experience is that it worked instantly in gnome but not in kde. you can nonetheless create static fstab entries that allow you to mount the devices with one mouseclick.

Regarding 4/5 how do you do this in fstab as my laptop has similar problems....

Guest mjcoates

Thanks guys - I'v been away and so haven't been able to follow this up. I'll file your comments for a later date - 10.0 is running fine and so I'll leave sleeping dogs lie ....

Regarding 4/5 how do you do this in fstab as my laptop has similar problems....

I'll give this a try if I do prod that sleeping dog.... I'd also like to know how to create static fstab entries that allow you to mount the devices with one mouseclick. It's not immediately apparent when reading the mount info page!

Mike

Guest mjcoates
Just use perfectly normal fstab entries; KDE, GNOME and various tray applets for each can handle the mounting and unmounting. If you put an icon for the drive on the desktop you should be able to mount / unmount it with a right-click.

Thanks Adam. I'll look at this over the summer holidays. Mike