Xfree86 4.2.0 and the Loathesome Radeon ATi 7000 QY

Guest oppen

Hello,

I'm having a problem with the ATi Radeon 7000 QY (The 64MB DDR PCI Version) and linux mandrake 8.2 every time i try to load the `radeon` x-server my machine decides to lockup and all I can move is the mouse, which is a Microsoft Intellimouse USB. It doesn't even make it to the login screen, just a black one with the "X" cursor. Any help/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated and i thank anyone in advance.

I'm having a problem with the ATi Radeon 7000 QY (The 64MB DDR PCI Version) and linux mandrake 8.2 every time i try to load the `radeon` x-server my machine decides to lockup and all I can move is the mouse, which is a Microsoft Intellimouse USB. It doesn't even make it to the login screen, just a black one with the "X" cursor.

Actually, radeon is the Xdriver while the Xserver is the same XFree86.

Try to follow of these methods:

1. Can u switch to a text console by using the keys ctrl-alt-f2 ? If yes, follow step 100.

2. If step 1 fails, try connecting to this machine from a different machine (assuming they are networked) using ssh/telnet/rlogin. If u can connect, follow step 100.

100. Login as root, open the file /etc/inittab and look at the line:

id:5:initdefault:

Replace the 5 by 3 so that it looks like:

id:3:initdefault:

Save and quit the file. This change will ensure that u have a text based login instead of a graphical login at the next boot. Now, run init 3 and if that does not give u a text based login screen, just reboot and then login as root. Follow step 101.

101. Run (as a non-root user) startx and see if X starts ok.

You can skip ndeb's step 100 entirly, just type (as root) telinit 3, and it will switch you to a cli login without having to edit files.

Ndeb, I don't know why you posted that, but you could have at least tried to help him figure out what's wrong with his system, and get X working.

oppen,

It looks like your card is not supported by your version of Xfree86. You need to get a driver for it at http://dri.sourceforge.net/.

This thread has the info you need.

You can skip ndeb's step 100 entirly, just type (as root) telinit 3, and it will switch you to a cli login without having to edit files.
Ur suggestion will work only for the current session, After a reboot, the system will be back to a graphical login which will lock up the machine. So one must make sure that there is no graphical login at boot (so that at least the command-line can be used). One way to do that is change /etc/inittab, which was my suggestion.

Ndeb, I don't know why you posted that, but you could have at least tried to help him figure out what's wrong with his system, and get X working.
Please understand that I am just another user who has as little as info about Scott's system as you or anybody else. Once again, u have failed to see the purpose of my post. It often happens that starting a DM (kdm. xdm, gdm) (at init 5 obviously) causes X to freeze but booting the system to init 3 and then running startx makes the system behave properly. So my suggestion was targeted at finding if the problem was due to the DM alone. If the same lockup appears with running startx (at init 3), then other solutions can be tried.

oppen, 

It looks like your card is not supported by your version of Xfree86. You need to get a driver for it at http://dri.sourceforge.net/.

This thread has the info you need.

That assumes DRI is the cause of the problem. Irrespective of whether thats the actual cause, the user should make sure that the machine boots to a text-based login screen first. Once the problem has been fixed, the user can switch back to run-level 5.

oppen,

If it happens that the X lockup is not DM related, then it is likely to be a problem of the X driver/dri and/or kernel drm modules. So try out the ATI drivers from http://gatos.sourceforge.net/ .

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sethanon
Hello,

I'm having a problem with the ATi Radeon 7000 QY (The 64MB DDR PCI Version) and linux mandrake 8.2 every time i try to load the `radeon` x-server my machine decides to lockup and all I can move is the mouse, which is a Microsoft Intellimouse USB. It doesn't even make it to the login screen, just a black one with the "X" cursor. Any help/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated and i thank anyone in advance.

I have the same card (Radion ATI 7000 AGP) in a clone box with a VIA chipset and an elederly Pentium 2 266 and no problems at all... I using Mandrake 9 with the standard xfree driver that was hosenfor me when I installed... Do you havew any other operating system on the machine, and if so does the card work OK in that? I think that the drivers (and X-Free) in Mandrake 9 are far superior, so perhaps upgrading to 9 is an option?

On the USB mouse front, there were known problems with this in 8.2 and 9 which are referred to on the Mandrake site irself, and did cause a variety of odd problems with the X desktop including hanging and the mouse leaping from point to point...

any help?