S.O.S. IRDA!

Guest Markino

Guest Markino

Hai guys,

I'd like to connect my mobile (SE K700i) with IRDA to my laptop with Linux Mandrake 10.1 but.... I don't know how to do it!!!!

Any1 can help me please? I'm not really expert on Linux...

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

Guest Markino

Hai all,

any1 know if exist some sw to install on Mandrake 10.1 that allow to manage/syncronize my mobile (SE K700i)?

I'd like to connecto my mobile via IRDA.....

IRDA is a pain in Linux, especially if it is built in like laptops.

Even when it works (as in my stir4200 USB IRDA dongle), the speed is nothing to be desired.

Since you have a K700i, I suggest you buy a USB bluetooth dongle instead. Bluetooth is supported better in Linux than IRDA. My friend is using bluetooth in his slackware box to connect his T610 to the internet.

Bluetooth is definately easier than IRDA.

The software you'll want to use to sync your mobile phone is Multisync and that will allow you to sync your phone with Evolution. You can also use the Gnome Obex Server to push objects at the phone (files) and you can even use wvdial to connect to the internet via your phone.

There are KDE equivalents of all the software as well, but I don't use KDE, so...

Anyway, first step is to get a bluetooth dongle. I use an Epox and have had a very good experience with it. The Belkin dongles also seem to work quite well.