speedtouch 530 adsl usb modem

Guest dave dredd

Guest dave dredd

Hello all,

I have a speedtouch 530 usb adsl modem, which i can not get to work with mandrake 10.1 i have tried every thing i can think of,

I found all the info on the speedtouch 330 and tried that, along with every microcode i could find, the error i get with every microcode is

the modem_run command failed (code 250)

failed to load microcode.

has anybody gotten this modem to work? if so could you please help me.

this is as far as I know that standard modem supplied by Telstra in australia

:thanks:

did you download the microcode zip? or unzip it? the current version is named

KQD6_R204.zip

and that should be still zipped in the same directory as the rest of the speedtouchconf directory.

Its obvious i know but sometimes its often missed, failing that unplug the modem and replug it in and run the script again

Forget the USB aspect. Use the eth0 or LAN connection from your Telstra Modem (I also have it) to the eth0 port on your mainboard. I presume you have a fairly new or recent mainboard.

Follow the instructions below as I posted to an earlier poster.

If you are connecting via LAN then you should be doing the following.

Open up Mandrake Control Centre (MCC).

Go to Network and Internet.

In New Connection select LAN connection and NOT any of the others. Click NEXT

In Net Device select ETH0 then click next.

Select Automatic IP(BOOT/DHCP) and do not select Manual Configuration.

Click Next.

Put a tick (USA=check) in Assign host name from DHCP address.

Put a tick in Start at boot. Click Next

In Host name (optional) type in your computer name if you want or have one. Click Next.

Leave this next panel blank and click Next.

Select Yes then click Next.

Hope this helps. It all works for me and is really quite simple especially when compare to trying the USB way.

Cheers. John.

This should allow you to get into Mandrake normally.

When in there then open MCC and go to Network & Internet and select Remove a connection if you see anything besides eth0 then leave eth0 alone but delete the others.

Now go to Security in MCC then into Firewall. And make sure there is a tick in at least FTP server and also POP and IMAP Server. Click on OK.

In the NET Device part select eth0 from the drop down menu. (not ppp or ippp)

then click OK.

I think if you follow this you should be OK.

A word of note. If you have Windows on your machine then do the setup using USB as per Bigponds' CDROM instructions first. This is necessary to activate your ADSL account for the first time.

When you have done that then, reboot into Mandrake after reconnecting the Lan cable connection and check the settings as discussed earlier.

When you have your ADSL up and running and you log into Bigpond, have a look at the Massive free and up to date software and all sorts that are there and you can download for free and does not count towards your download limits.

Edited by AussieJohn

Guest dave dredd

thanks but i have already tried that, again it said microcode not loaded..

i have no idea what is going on....

has anybody gotten the 530 to work...

mandrake can see the modem in it hardware section but can do nothing with it.. :wall:

Sorry but there must still be something you are doing wrong.

Because if you are trying the LAN method that I am suggesting then as far as I know it will not need the microcode.

Anyway if you have already done the easy to follow routine using the Bigpond cdrom to connect using USB first as I also suggested then that microcode would have been installed into the modem if the modem itself actually needed it.

1. Install your Windows USB setup first following the supplied cdrom. If you are ignoring it because you think you can set it up better yourself then you will be in trouble. this will then activate your account with Bigpond otherwise you will not be able to connect to them.

2. If you have done the above then connect the supplied LAN cable from the LAN port on the modem to the LAN port on the MainBoard. Then follow the procedure I laid out in my earlier post.

3. If your Mainboard is an older board and does not have onboard LAN then 2. above obviously does not apply. That means you are stuck using USB or getting a cheap PCI plug in Lan Card.

If you decide not to go this route and stick with the USB then there are a number of previous posts that carefully detail the procedure for USB. Look in to tips and tricks or type adsl in the search box here at MUB and it will bring up these sort of details for you.

John.

After you have done all this make sure to follow the second stage of setting up your firewall correctly or once again you will not be able to connect to the net, again as I outlined in my earlier post.

Edited by AussieJohn

Dave, when you say you are trying to get the USB to work, are you talking about In Windows or in Mandrake ???

John

I you are talking about USB in Mandrake then I suggest you do not waste your time and use the LAN system. The USB system has, as far as I know, no advantage over LAN but to put it simply......you have to spend too much bug***ising around to get to work. Most everyone I know is using the LAN system and I am talking about here in Australia and we are using the same Modem you are. I am trying to save you time and effort but if you insist on the user unfriendly USB method. then go ahead. I will not waste my time further by trying to dissuade you.

I think before anybody else will attempt to help you, you will have to give a heck of a lot more detail of your system and exactly what you have actually tried (in detail) so far.

Your posts have virtually told us nothing or even seem as though you are ignoring suggestions offered to you, in other words there is no feedback .

I wish you luck. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Guest dave dredd

Just because it did not work for you does not mean it will not work for anybody else, i have fully followed the speedtouch 330 setup as described in another post, The only thing i need to know is, what microcode people have used. mandrake has always been able to detect the modem but it just cant connect, to bigpond, the answer must be very simple, but i must be some thing i am missing.. if anybody has any further ideas then let me know.. . just because one person tells me some thing can not be done means that i have to get it working..... :cheeky:

Read carefully before ranting. I did not say it cannot be done. What I did say is that there is an easier way to get to the objective, namely connect to the internet. But if you want to make some kind of point well that is your business but I do not think anyone will really take any notice.

Notice how quiet everyone else has been ???? Or haven't you noticed that yet.

I wonder why. ???

Also the Alcatel 330 solution does not necessarily apply to the 530. The 330 is used in Europe.

Note I did not say it does not apply, only does not necessarily apply.

Go the hard smart way if you want.

But hey , I am enjoying the use of my ADSL Bigpond connection right this very moment in Mandrake, are you ??.

And I have done so within a few weeks of getting ADSL over nearly a year ago and trying very hard here at this board to make USB work. It was someone at this board who suggested I try LAN. I tried it and within 10 minutes I was up and connected.

I wasn't pigheaded to say no, I want to solve the other hard way instead.

Best of luck. I hope you have some but if you do get USB to work then it still does not prove anything.

I also do not use emoticons to insult people.

John

PS. Some friends of mine got ADSL 3 weeks ago. They are using Mandrake 10.0-OE and I had them connected and using it 25 mins after they got the modem (20 mins for USB setup in Windows2000 Pro and to activate the connection and 5 mins to setup the LAN connection in Mandrake).

They also use Mandrake almost exclusively. So they have been using ADSL in Mandrake with LAN connection for 95% of the time they have had their modem.

J.

Edited by AussieJohn

Guest dave dredd

OK if you need to know, i am currently running xp corp ed. on two computers which are setup in a lan but i want to setup a linux box for my third computer, the computer i want to run linux on has on board lan, and when i try to install a second lan card it mandrake spits the dummy. so i am left the the option of getting the 530 to work on usb... the 530 works fine on the ethernet card but i lose the lan connection, the only way to fix this with using usb is to buy a wireless lan but i don't have that much spare money around( for some reason my bios see's a wireless lan card differently to wired ethernet card. I thing i cant under stand is why mandrake can see the 530 modem but can not connect to the net using it i can not get to its internal ip address..., I just get very peeved when people think one thing suit all. am i buying a "model T"???