Modem can't connect problems - SOLVED

mjtickner

Hi,

I am in the process of putting together a Linux PC for my parents to replace their old P166. The PC has an old 56K modem in it. I found some drives from Linuxant which are supposed to be compatible.

However, when I try to dial out the modem dials but it can not connect. It seems to behave like there isn't anything on the other end of the line.

The connection on my own computer is BT Broadband via the 'frog'. Is my ADSL interfering with my ability to dial out?

I've tried to redirect the modem through the clear and filtered lines, but that doesn't seem to be having any effect.

Many Thanks

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

Edit: It was something to do with my arrangement of my microfilters on the line. A friend of mine speculated that it was the unfiltered noise from the ADSL which was disturbing the modem. Although I thought I had tried it through the filtered output :huh:

Edited by mjtickner

as far as i know it is completely impossible to use 56k dial-up modems if you have a adsl-connection because adsl is digital, while dial-up is analog. unless you isp has done some magical things.... ;)

No Broadband is analogue as well - you are thinking of ISDN.

A 56k modem only (AFAIK) uses the voice band of a telephone line whereas a broadband modem uses the whole available bandwidth. In effect DSL is an extension of 56K ;) (a narrow band connection is something like 10 Base-T)

This was why I was trying to connect the 56K modem on the filtered side of the microfilter.