Mounting External HD: "permission denied"

Read_Icculus

Using mandrake 10.1 official, trying to mount my 120Gb seagate external HD, which is this entry with lspcidrake "usb-storage : Seagate|Seagate Mass Storage [Mass Storage|SCSI|Bulk (Zip)]".

This drive was detected and a mount point was set during installation/partitioning, I did a custom partitioning to make sure it wasn't erased as it's nearly full of files. After I installed the OS and booted I looked under /mnt/external, and checked mount, and it's not mounted. I've tried to use "mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 (and /dev/sda) /mnt/external" and I get the error "mount: permission denied".

This same drive was detected, and mounted automatically under 9.2 official, I reinstalled 9.2 a few hours ago and checked again and it detects and mounts it perfectly, then I tried again with 10.1 and I get the "permission denied" error. Not sure what the problem is other than the 2.6 kernel and the udev system maybe, any help would be great. Thanks.

I haven't tried mounting external hd with mandrake 10.1 yet, but I just wonder why do you need to connect the external hd during installation. If it works the same way as usb key disks, the external hd should be automatically detected and mounted when it is plugged in.

I was fiddling about and after booting I saw "mount" listed external as being mounted, so I did "umount /mnt/external", and then "mount -t ext2 /dev/sda1 /mnt/external", and then it's mounted. So I guess fstab isn't mounting it right?

/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1
/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0
/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0
/dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrom3 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0
none /mnt/external supermount dev=/dev/sda1,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0
none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

Disk /dev/hda: 120.0 GB, 120000000000 bytes
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 232514 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *           1       40641    20482843+   c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/hda2           40642      232514    96703992    5  Extended
/dev/hda5           40642      231189    96036160+  83  Linux
/dev/hda6          231190      232514      667768+  82  Linux swap

Disk /dev/sda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1       14593   117218241   83  Linux

I checked "fdisk -l" output before I got it mounted and it was the same as this.

Also just ran into a problem with mounted DVDs, I just burnt a data DVD, put it in my faster DVD-ROM drive to check the md5sums of the written data. Everything was fine, so I took it out and started to burn a new data DVD and I get a k3b error "cannot umount cdrom drive" or something similar, didn't save output. So I check what's mounted and df, and both DVD drives were showing that they were mounted with 3.1GBs of data even though supermount should've umounted them. So I guess something is up with fstab and mounting my discs. Is there some fix in the updates for anything like this? Just updated and installed everything but haven't rebooted if udev or something I have no clue about needs to be run from boot.

Also just left my external plugged in as I've left it connected and on through my last few mandrake installs and it always was fine, also as I can assign a mount point during install and not have to do it later, at least that always worked in the past.

Your usb drive should be automounted by supermount at /mnt/external according to this:

none /mnt/external supermount dev=/dev/sda1,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0

i.e. you shouldn't have to do anything to mount the drive. It should be automatically detected and all you should have to do is navigate to /mnt/external to see its contents. Check and see if this is the case. You will always get an error message if you try to mount a drive that is under supermount. If supermount is not working, post back and I'll show you how to edit that line to get rid of supermount.

Your cd drives have a different automounter called magicdev. A cd should be automatically mounted on insertion and automatically unmounted when you hit the eject button. I've noticed some problems with magicdev and k3b on occaison, particularly when I try to start erasing a rewritable cd before the automounter has mounted the cd. Check to see if it's basically working OK. Given you have three cd drives, it might be causing issues.

After booting it is reported to be mounted, (according to mount) but going to /mnt/external and ls-ing shows nothing, there's nothing there according to df as well, and trying a variety of other pokings about, like "file:///mnt/external" in mozilla, shows nothing, no folders/files. After doing "umount /mnt/external ; mount -t ext2 /dev/sda1 /mnt/external" - ls /mnt/external, and df see the mounted drive's data. I guess I could add the "umount;mount" stuff in a boot script, but I wonder what's going on.

What's going on is supermount is screwed up and that's been going on for a long time. I'd just get rid of it. Edit the line like so assuming sda1 is ext2:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/external ext2 defaults,user,noauto 0 0

Reboot. The drive will not be automatically mounted(noauto option) and nonroot users will be able to mount the drive(user option). That's what you typically want for a removable device. To give all users read/write permissions on the drive, mount the drive as root and run:

# chmod 1777

The above must be run with the drive mounted or the permissions won't flow through to the partition.