How to re-compile x.org/xfree86.

Guest mmcmonster

Guest mmcmonster

Hi.

I'm pretty new to Linux in general, and Mandrake specifically. I'm running version Mandrake 10.1 official. Here is my problem:

\Unfortunately, my system (an AMD 3 GHz) uses the motherboard-based video driver, which is based on the VIA/S3G unichrome graphics controller.

I went to the unichrome project over at http://unichrome.sourceforge.net/ , which says that I need to be able to compile and install xfree86 or x.org. Can someone please tell me which one I have, and how do I go about compiling and installing a current version of it?

Mandrake 10.1 uses XOrg - it's already compiled for you. I dont quite understand your problem - have you installed Mandrake and does it launch the KDE desktop?

If so, then your graphics card has been detected and is working ok.

Guest mmcmonster
Mandrake 10.1 uses XOrg  - it's already compiled for you. I dont quite understand your problem - have you installed Mandrake and does it launch the KDE desktop?

If so, then your graphics card has been detected and is working ok.

Mandrake come up fine. I'm using the Gnome desktop, and that comes up fine, also.

The problem is: Whlie the mandrake control center understands that I have a KM400 Graphics Adapter, when I run the config tool, I had to choose VESA as my X server. VIA/S3G unichrome is not an option. :-(

I'm not sure, but I think that's why I can't get MPlayer to reize, and when I use the zoom option on MPlayer the audio quickly falls out of sync.

I'm hoping that if I use the code from the unichrome project ( http://unichrome.sourceforge.net/ ), I can get MPlayer to work better. Also, I'm starting to play around with Kino, and I want to make sure that the video card issue is not going to be a problem.

So I guess my question now is, can I just download the source from X.org and compile and install it (./configure; make; make install)? or is there a lot of patches that are involved because I'm running Mandrake?

No - dont do that . You'll end up with a highly customised system that may turn out to be a right pig to do a Mandrake upgrade to in future.

The Mplayer thing sounds like a CODEC issue - if memory serves me right,Mandrake doesnt ship with all of the correct codecs due to patent issues -you can usually get them from the PLF sources via URPMI.

Google for "Easy Urpmi" and follow the instructions - add the PLF source and search for "mplayer" in the rpmdrake "Install Software" program.

Before doing that you might want to try out "Kaffeine" instead of mplayer - if its not in the same menu as Mplayer just do a

urpmi kaffeine (as root)

from Konsole

Kaffeine is a native KDE application.