Can't Use GNOME

moonhowler

BTW, 'urpmi gnome2' will automatically download all packages required for a working gnome2 system. If the terminal you're using is buggy you could always use another, I use gnome-terminal on my main system and rxvt on my laptop...a *nix system is never short of terminals :)

I'm typing this in gnome! Finally!

The main problem boiled down to a very buggy terminal window that kept hanging; I didn't know how to unfreeze it except shutting it down, which left urpmi addmedia still running in the background, locking out any further attempts to download & install it. I finally terminated urpmi addmedia by killing it through KDE System Monitor.

This has been an ordeal for a couple reasons: First, um, "operator error". For those of you who are experienced linux users, it may be hard to imagine (or remember) the frustration that newbies go through in trying to solve weird, baffling problems with a strange new OS. My ignorance of the workings of linux/Mandrake has made solving all these bugs a lot tougher. I'm learning, but it's way harder than it should be because Mandrake released 10.0 with WAY too many serious bugs. I know this is a complex issue, but they're going to lose a lot of potential users if they can't make it reasonably usable out of the box.

Speaking of bugs: still have the no-shutdown problem mentioned above (fairly serious) and still can't play DVD's (not as serious, but way irritating). Installed all 4 libdvd's & win32 codecs; both Totem & Kaffeine crash instantly when trying to play (Totem error msg: "Application "totem" (process 3214) has crashed due to a fatal error. (Aborted)".

Before installing the libs/codecs, I'd just get the NAV error; now both apps crash hard. Any ideas?

Thanks bvc, arctic and adamw for the help. You and this board as a whole are a godsend for anyone trying to learn and use Mandrake.

NOTE: Shutdown problem solved, thanks to a member's suggestion in another thread: Open Mandrake Control Center => Boot=>Bootloader, check "Enable ACPI"; then, in BIOS, make sure Power Management is "Enabled" or "On". Problem solved.

Edited by moonhowler