draktools, they all stopped working [SOLVED]

brucedjones

yesterday i tried to launch drakconf but nothing happened, so i tried rpmdrake, nothing happened. i tried from a terminal and got hte following message "Segmentation fault (core dumped)". so i tried to install some software using urpmi and hte command line and got THIS message

Can't locate URPM.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6

/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6

/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux

/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5

/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3

/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1

/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3/urpm.pm line 13.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3/urpm.pm line 13.

Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/urpmi line 23.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/urpmi line 23.

now the only thing i changed before it all stopped working was that i installed mono from a cooker repository. im guessing this somehow changed, deleted some perl things but i wouldnt know where to start with fixing that. has anyone got any ideas??

try running "updatedb" as root before fiddling around in your box. after running updatdb, can you use urpmi? are there any additional error-logs you could post?

final note: never use cooker unless you know exactly what you are doing and how to get out of a mess :P

Try using my favorite trick of doing a "pretend upgrade".

It will only take about 15mins and could get you working again.

It saves a lot of time and effort and usually works 6 out of 10 times. Not bad odds.

Just a thought.

Cheers. John.

Arctics comment about cooker. 100% true and excellent advice. Been there, done that, never again.

JB

Edited by AussieJohn

yeh i always get those comments with cooker,and i try not to. its just a bit more fun when things go wrong :)

anyway i tried doing updatedb and its still not working, would it help to reinstall perl from source seeing as the error messages im getting seem to be perl related??