Cannot Update Mandrake 9

Guest Maltese Falcon

Guest Maltese Falcon

Hi all,

I cannot update Mandrake 9 any more after the last update :(. The update utility downloads the mirrors, but then gives me the following message:

There was an error adding the update medium via urpmi.

This may be due to a broken or temporary unavailable mirror, or when Mandrake Linux version (9.0) is not yet/ no more supported by Mandrake Linux Official Updates.

Do you want to try another mirror?

I selected all the mirrors given, but none worked. Any ideas of what the problem might be an how to solve it please?

10x

Joseph.

Guest Maltese Falcon
Odd that none of the mirrors work. Open up a term as su and type urpmi.update -a   

See if that works.

No, the error is:

unable to take medium "Updates for Mandrake Linux 9.0 (ftp1u)" into account as no list file [/var/lib/urpmi/list.Updates for Mandrake Linux 9.0 (ftp1u)] exists

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1).cz]

unable to compress synthesis file at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/urpm.pm line 869.

Hope you can make something of the error :)

Guest Maltese Falcon
Try this then, in a term as root ( su) type :

urpmi.addmedia --update updates ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/unix/linux...dates/9.0/RPMS/ with ../base/hdlist.cz

If you want a mirror nearer to you , use this handy app:

http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/urpmiweb.php#third

Nothing yet. The result is:

unable to take medium "Updates for Mandrake Linux 9.0 (ftp1u)" into account as no list file [/var/lib/urpmi/list.Updates for Mandrake 9.0 (ftp1u)] exists

added medium updates

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1).cz]

unable to compress synthesis file at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/urpm.pm line 869

What does the last line in particular (unable to compress ...) mean?

I have done rpm --initdb and rpm --rebuilddb and everything seems OK. I ran gurpmi from a command prompt and I get the following error:

unable to take medium "Updates for Mandrake Linux 9.0 (ftp1u)" into account as no list file [/var/lib/urpmi/list.Updates for Mandrake Linux 9.0 (ftp1u)] exists

problem reading synthesis file of medium "Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1)"

problem reading synthesis file of medium "Installation CD 2 (x86) (cdrom2)"

problem reading synthesis file of medium "International CD (x86) (cdrom3)"

Can't call method "arch" on an undefined value at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/URPM/Resolve.pm line 14

I ran the urpmi-4.0.20.1mdk.noarch.rpm with KPackage and it gave me an error of some sort, but it did not give me any time to see it, but it look similar to this one. The rpm --force -Uvh *.rpm gave no errors. Any ideas how to refresh the mandrake update files.

Thanks and Regards

Joseph.

Another idea, delete /var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1).cz]

Then go to sources manager, add new media, choose removeable media, insert cd 1 and wait while it uploads the info. might fix the problem.

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same problem with this package. I performed the following to fix it:-

1. Cd /var/lib/urpmi

2. mkdir archive

3. mv * archive

4. cd /etc/urmpi

5. mv urpmi.cfg urpmi.cfg.orig

6. Run up the mandrake control centre and add the update sources, and then add your other sources

Now everything should be OK

I'm behind a Proxy server and a firewall and have had the same problem (error message) since I installed mdk 9.0. How ever the other day I a bit irritated by it and managed to fix it this what it did.

Used Mandrake Sources manager to Remove all sources I'd added leaving only the 3CD's.

Changed the proxy config to proxy IP and http port. 192.168.0.1:80

In Mdk Control center under network disabled the proxy settings and set the proxy server as the gateway. (The Proxy also supports NAT).

Used urpmi.addmedia command to add the sources for updates and plf.

Used Mandrake Source Manager to add a source for Contrib packages and then tested it I works perfectly now. I've updated Urpmi and all the rest with out problems.

One thing though the stealth mirror was down yesterday so I'd suggest using another source.

Guest Maltese Falcon

Thanks to all those who have contributed to my problem. As suggested, I removed all the sources except the CDs, then added the new source from the sources manager and it worked :)

Cheers

Joseph.