sees modem but not isp

stan

:help: I am very new to Linux. (Did try OpenLinux a while back but never got it to work right) Installed Mandrake 10.0 and have worked out several problems, but this one has me stuck. Using an external Robotics Sportster 56K, configured kppp to ttsy0 with my username and password and dialup #. No problem there. Hit connect, dials fine and gets noise back from isp. Then it sits there like it's waiting for something and times out. (The debug screen says the modem replies CONNECT 28800/ARQ [i think, that's from memory, the machine is at home, I'm at work].) (Have rechecked and re-entered id & pw several times)

I called the isp and he blames linux of course. I don't see anything else to adjust.

If it helps: I don't have a network so the long boot delay looking at eth0 (always "FAILED") was eliminated by unchecking that in a startup-config thingie. The modem problem was before that also, so I assume there is no connection.

Bear in mind I have no idea what a lot of these shorthand words you guys use mean.

Another thing, I got access to my zip disk by adding mnt/hdd4. Supermount puts mnt/zip on the desktop, but clicking it just makes the disk whir but gives no files in Nautilus. It has a greatlooking icon, which I would like to reassign to hdd4, but I don't know where the icon comes from. Is mnt/zip stuck looking for linux filesystem? Its fstab lists vfat after [oops, memory failure: ext2? ] so what stops it from seeing the files?

Last thing: Mandrake froze up several times while entering the config software (and some other functions) but after each reboot it went further til finally it seems to get along OK. Is it really fixing itself or am I about to hit a mine?

Edited by stan

Bear in mind I have no idea what a lot of these shorthand words you guys use mean.

Like WTF does WTF mean??

For the other questions, I'm sorry but I wouldn't know how to answer (I was looking for an answer for myself... :juggle: ).

But I can give you an advice though: If you have more than one subject/question, put it in different topics. I mean, suppose I couldn't help you with the modem, but I had the answer for the zip drive. I would never have read the topic to help you...

Be well