Samba and pinging

Horty

I have installed Samba in order to network with a Win 98 computer (peer to peer), and cannot get either computer to 'see' the others shares. When attempting to troubleshoot, I have tried pinging each computer (with firewalls turned off) and either get timed out or an 'unreachable' message.

I know that the hardware side of things is OK, because my Linux machine dual boots with XP, with which I have been able to connect to the Win 98 machine.

My question is, do I need everything set up in Samba to be able to successfully ping the other machine, or can I fault find the pinging problem without running Samba?

Sorry if this is a basic question, but I have done a fair bit of searching in an attempt to resolve this particular problem, and not come up with anything that directly answers the question.

Regards,

Horty

It's OK. I ended up getting the two systems to ping, and 'see' each other.

The way I did it was a bit convoluted,not very pretty (I am a newbie) and probably not recommended by Linux gurus, so I haven't posted the procedure. I will be happy to post the procedure if anyone is interested (use at your own peril).

Horty

OK. Here goes.

Please bear in mind that I'm not overly experienced in use of Linux.

After installing Samba, Drakwizard (to configure Samba) and Linneighbourhood (Network Neighbourhood equivalent), I found that I couldn't 'see' the Win98 box and vice versa. I also couldn't ping either machine.

After a fair bit of research, I gave my Linux box a hostname other than the generic one, and edited /etc/samba/smb.conf in accordance to the guidelines located here : http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=16737

After viewing examples of numerous .conf files posted by people experiencing networking problems, I then edited /etc/hosts, to give the Linux box the IP address and hostname of itself and the Win98 system, and also edited /etc/sysconfig/network to reflect the hostname change of my Linux machine.

I also changed the IP address of the Linux box (from 192.168.15.1 to 192.168.0.1) to more closely match that of the Windows box (192.168.0.2).

I then turned off Shorewall, tried pinging, and viola!

/etc/hosts and /etc/sysconfig/network as follows :

/etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost

192.168.0.1 Linux

192.168.0.2 Sempron

etc/sysconfig/network

HOSTNAME=Linux

NETWORKING=yes

I got some good info from this site : http://info.ccone.at/INFO/Samba/integrate-ms-networks.html

I have posted this purely as an account of what I did to resolve the problems I was experiencing with Samba / networking, and should be taken as such. Any implementation of the procedures outlined above should be taken at your own risk!

To Qchem, thanks for your interest in my solution. If there is anything in this post that requires correction, debunking or further explanation, feel free to do what is necessary.

Regards,

Horty.