Kmail copies dead.letter to /home

ChrisM

I posted this yesterday, but asked the mod to remove it soon after as I thought the problem 'resolved itself' - but hey, guess what, it was foolin around with me :angry:

Sorry mr moderator, but here's the post again.

Problem: If I write a message in KMail it also copies it as I go, as a dead.letter to my /home directory. Now after couple of reboots yesterday, I thought this had resolved itself - but it hasn't, so it also appears that this is maybe unusual in that it is a rather hit and miss affair, but I can't be 100% sure - certainly it doesn't look as if it happens to every email, but perhaps every other one or so. :angry:

And it only happens in Kmail - not in Thunderbird. I reconfigured Kmail and it still occurs :wall:

I wasn't on my 'puta yesterday for long, and was trying to copy some images from DVD (nothing to do with email) so I don't at all understand why this is happening.

Any suggestions on why and how I can correct it (other than not using Kmail).

Cheers.

Edited by ChrisM

Hello again ChrisM.

I cannot say I have the answer. However I can say what I would do. First I would go into .Mail then inbox and copy cur (current mail in my inbox of Kmail) to a safe place. I would then do the same with outbox and again copy cur to a safe place. I'd keep them apart since they both have the same title otherwise it will try to overwrite the other.

With those folders safe I would delete the entire .Mail and I would also uninstall Kmail entirely and then freshly reinstall it.

The 2 saved cur files I can now paste back to their respective places.

This way I will have cleared everything related to Kmail and now have a fresh unit which should be trouble free but not lose my mail.

If the problem re-occurs then I would think the trouble is outside of Kmail.

But like I said, that is what I would do. I wouldn't want to misinform you even unintentionally, as I was told so knowledgebly by one fairly new but regular poster, that I did on an earlier occassion. (His comment must be right after all he said so and who are we mere mortal members of MUB to disagree with his approach).

So ChrisM, you are free to think about how I would do it and if it works for you then great.

Cheers mate. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Hello again ChrisM.

But like I said, that is what I would do.  I wouldn't want to misinform you even unintentionally, as I was told so knowledgebly by one fairly new but regular poster, that I did on an earlier occassion.  (His comment must be right after all he said so and who are we mere mortal members of MUB to disagree with his approach).

So ChrisM, you are free to think about how I would do it and if it works for you then great.

Cheers mate.                              John.

Hello once again AussieJohn :D

Not for one moment would I think that your postings would misinform, even unintentionally. This is my view: People come to boards such as MUB and often seek help or advise or to develop their own knowledge base. Many are able to offer back their developed knowledge and expertise. For this, we must be grateful. As a community board, I want to help people like myself who have essentially started Linux from scratch - whatever the reason might be. who knows, in a couple or so years, I may have even developed a knowledge base myself in which some users might think - 'that guys kinda knows what he's talking about here, I'll consider what he has to say' :lol: I hope that in some small way, I've already started on that path - in no way can I proffer authoritative/expert knowledge, but I have been able to share some of my experiences thus far. Bottom line is many of us are grateful that we are able to seek help, advise or clarification in this way. However, no matter what, we are all individually responsible for what we do to our own boxes, and we must accept that basic level of responsobility, even if something goes wrong/not to plan - rather than finger point to somebody who may have acted in good old honest faith and try to help another user out of a pickle.

I've read your posts and my impression is you're always happy to help someone out. So, as to your advise, I've read it, and it makes sense - and when I've a spare hour this weekend (ha ha - I wish) I'll give it a go, unless beforehand someone can point me to a superquick fix instead :D

So to you AussieJohn and to all, this is my opportunity so far to say a big :thanks: and :beer: