X86Free

inflexion

Ive installed Mandrake 10.1 CE onto my laptop and cant startx window, it says that doesnt have a graphics driver installed for my card, i went through the config again but wasnt sure exactly how to set up the display correctly for my laptop.

Its a Packard Bell IGO 5581 with an S3 Twister and the chip type is S3-VIA TwisterK

if anyone could point me in the right direction with this please, even if the correct driver isnt installed just so long as i can boot in run level 5 ill be a happy bunny so i get up on the net in Mandrake

Run this:

$ xf86config

Setup the X server properly and make sure you define your graphics card. Once you are done it will generate a XF86Config file, which you must move (as root) to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

This should solve your problem, although I'm surprised Mandrake would make an error at install time with such a common chipset.

ok so i tried that and set the graphics card as a VGA as S3 wasnt in the list (i didnt try any others)

ran startx and it said that it couldnt parse the file so i edited the config file and put in a Horizontal refresh rate of the the first example (30-35 i think)

it now says that it cant run in 16 but mode because the chipset is unsupported at that depth :(

then after it says that no screens were found.

Any ideas what i can do now?